thirteen

chapter thirteen ~ the one with the spoiled sisterHeather's POV

Heather's POV

Playing Monopoly seemed to be something that we hardly ever did as a group, maybe it was because it was the kind of game that would leave everyone in tears; which was why we had decided to start playing it. Because tonight we all needed the chance to let our emotions out, everyone was dealing with their own issues and this game night was a chance to express ourselves in a place that we felt safe. For me, I had been super stressed about my new position as even though, it felt nice to finally be a real part of the team as an official Real Estate Agent, the job came with a lot more stress than I had expected. Maybe this was the reason why Melissa had to leave early, because she knew that she couldn't handle the stress whilst pregnant. The only thing that made this all bearable was Joey, being the amazing husband that he was, made sure that I was taken care of every time that I came home. Right now, I was tucked under his arm as we cuddled on the floor, waiting for the game to begin, which was set up on the coffee table.

He had been so proud of me when I told him my good news and it reminded me of the time that he was almost given his big break and we had celebrated; only this time, the roles were reversed and we were celebrating my job promotion. Chandler, Rachel and Ross were perched on the couch as they wanted to be as close to the board as possible; whilst checking that none of them were cheating as they were the usual culprits of cheating in these board games. Phoebe had taken the armchair and that was why we were on the floor; we didn't mind though because we were closer to the bowls of snacks which we had taken from the cupboard without being scolded because Monica was in work. Ross broke the friendly chatter that everyone was having, by asking. "Hey, does anyone have any gum?"

"Oh, I do." Phoebe says excitedly as she brings her purse onto her lap and begins pulling random things out of it, including a brush, a ping pong ball and a shoe. "Oh, you know what? No. Wait a second." We almost choked on our snacks when she pulled out a plastic bag with a goldfish inside of it, sighing she continued to sift through the contents of her purse. "I know it's in here somewhere."

"You know what, I'm good." Ross said through gritted teeth, as Monica came into the apartment.

Chandler turned to face his girlfriend, unsure what she was doing back so soon. "Hey, what are you doing here, shouldn't you be at work?"

"They sent me home, they said I can't work if I'm sick." She replied, dropping her belongings on the kitchen table and obviously wasn't thrilled to be missing work.

"I'm so sorry you're sick."

"I'm not sick!" Monica snapped, making everyone listen to their conversation as it was more interesting than the small talk that we were making around the coffee table. "I don't get sick. Getting sick is for weaklings. It's for pansies."

"Honey, no one thinks that you're a pansy." Rachel said, from her seat on the couch before wincing at her best friend. "But we do think that you need a tissue."