fourteen

chapter eighty two ~ the one with a broadway auditionHeather's POV

Heather's POV

Some changes had been made to the living arrangements, because after arguing with Ross, Rachel decided that it was best if she moved into her own place again. When having Emma, they moved in together because it worked best but now, they were living on top of each other and Emma was getting older. She didn't need constant round the clock care, so Rachel moved back into her own little apartment across the hall from us. She had kept paying the rent even when living with Ross because she knew that the move wasn't permanent and had only been for a few months. It was weird to think that they were no longer living together but it was the right call to make, they needed to focus on their careers and spending equal time with Emma; not spending all of their time arguing about pointless things. Instead of moping about the argument that our friends had had, we all headed to Central Perk and tried to act as if our lives were somewhat normal. Joey and I were sat on the stools with Matteo in his buggy taking a nap, Ross, Phoebe and Monica were chatting on the couch and then Chandler came in with a big smile on his face. "Hey guys, I have great news, guess what?"

"Uh, Monica's pregnant?" Joey guessed.

"Really?" Monica asked her husband before realising that she kind of looked stupid and rolled her eyes. "Let's get past the moment."

Phoebe took a sip of her coffee. "What's your news?"

"Thank you." He paused, waiting for dramatic effect before announcing. "I got a job in advertising."

"Honey, that's incredible." Monica gushed, standing up to hug him.

"Gosh, what's the pay like?" Phoebe interrupted the sweet moment and everyone glared at her before she rolled her eyes. "Come on people, come on. If I don't know who makes the most, how do I know who I like the most?" She paused before admitting. "Joey!"

He held up his left hand with the ring finger showing and shrugged. "Still married, Pheebs."

"Well, actually it pays nothing." Chandler sits on the armchair. "It's an internship."

"Oh, that's cool. We have interns at Days of our Lives."

My brother nodded, ready to say something sarcastic. "Right, so it'll be the same except less fake sex with you." This made Joey roll his eyes and look as though he was about to reply so Ross took over with the questions. "So, what kind of stuff do you think they'll have you do there?"

"Well, it's a training program, but at the end, they hire the people they like."

"That's great, Chandler." I smiled at him from across the room.

"Yeah, I mean, there's probably going to be some grunt work, which will probably stink. You know, a grown man getting people coffee is a little humiliating. Humiliating and noble."

"You know, if it didn't already have a job, I think I would have been really good in advertising." Ross admitted, thinking about his own fantasy.

Monica sighed, before arguing. "Ross, you did not come up with Got Milk?"

"Yes, I did!" He tried to convince us but failed miserably. "I did! I should have written it down."

A few hours later and I was sat in the apartment when the phone began ringing. Joey had popped out to pick up our dry cleaning and Matteo was playing with Mozzarella on the rug. They had a cute bond which made me want to have even more kids so that they could play with our dog; it was adorable and Matteo was very soft with him which made things easier for me. Not having to worry about the dog attacking the baby or vice versa. Answering the phone, I ended up on a long conversation with Joey's agent, Estelle, who didn't know who I was and just wanted to give me the news with no context whatsoever. I understood what she was talking about but didn't really know how the whole audition process worked; hopefully Joey would understand what I was talking about when he returned. It only took him about ten minutes to get back with everything and he lay the clothes on the back of the armchair, I'd put them away when I had chance.

"Joey, I have great news!" I said excitedly, once again hoping that he would understand what this meant because I wasn't really sure what was going on.

He decided to guess like he had that morning. "You're pregnant?"

"No."

"Monica's pregnant?"

"No."

"Rachel's pregnant?"

"No one's pregnant!" I snapped, making him stop guessing because we weren't getting anywhere near what the actual news was. "Why do you always think that great news means someone's pregnant?"

"Kind of seems to be the vibe these days." He said sheepishly before wondering what the actual news was. "What's the great news?"

"Well, I answered the phone and it was your agent. I explained that you weren't in but she didn't care, she also had no idea that you were married but that's a different story. You got the audition."

His eyes widened as he stared at me and it was almost as though he didn't believe what I was telling him. "I got the audition?"

"You got the audition!" I repeated, waiting for it to sink in.

"Oh my God, this is great!" Joey punched the air, before taking a seat at the kitchen counter and helping himself to a sandwich that I had prepared for him; knowing that he'd want a reward for completing some of the chores I had set for him.

After taking some time to calm down now that the great news had been revealed, I stood opposite him and leaned on the counter; excited to find out the details of this audition. "So, what's it for?"

"It's this play on Broadway." He answered and smiled when he saw my shocked reaction; I knew Broadway was a big deal. Joey liked to impress me and was excited to tell me all about the audition. "That's not even the best part, Leonard Hayes is starring in it and directing it. This could be my big break as a serious actor."

"I'm so proud of you!" I kissed him softly, glad that with everything that was going on, my husband was still working hard to provide a good life for our family. We were both working hard to provide for our family and hopefully soon we would see the rewards for our hard work.

a/n: really short chapter just to say thank u so much for 17k!!❤️ -lizzie ⭐️

date published: 07/04/21