[forty-eight]

The rain washed his tears away.

His clothes were drenched in rainwater, and his wet hair stuck to his face, tickling his eyes a little. It was freezing cold outside, however, he was dressed in nothing more than shorts and T-shirt. It was evident that he was really cold from his slightly blue purple lips, but adrenaline refused to allow him to acknowledge that fact as he continued to run down the pathway, passing by people of all walks of life.

[y/n] had to get there, fast. He was desperate enough to ignore the fact that whatever he was doing was dangerous.

And the situation that had led him here?

It all started in the middle of the Karasuno VS Shiratorizawa match. Something which no one had expected. And unexplainable emotions and desperation had led [y/n] here. In the middle of the streets of Miyagi while it was raining cats and dogs.

Karasuno was finally leading in the second match, after having lost their first match by two points. And [y/n] himself was at his peak and into the zone.

Everything was doing fine—

Except nothing was alright because [y/n]'s luck was the shittiest.

[y/n] was told to switch out in the middle of the second match by Takeda-sensei for unknown reasons. He jogged out of the court, nodding his head at Tanaka who would be replacing him in the match instead.

"I was doing fine so if—"

[y/n] paused in the middle of his sentence when he saw the solemn look on Takeda-sensei and Coach Ukai's face. Takeda-sensei handed him a phone, before softly whispering.

"It's for you."

[y/n] took hold of the phone in confusion, before he slowly placed the phone next to his ear, awaiting for the answer.

"H-Hello?"

To any other outsiders, it was noticeable how [y/n]'s shoulders slouched after a while. He listened to the call silently, before handing it back to Takeda-sensei with a small thanks.

[y/n] clenched his fist, his face facing the ground.

He couldn't really think straight afterwards, his mind blank and empty as a sheet of canvas. Somehow, news spread to [b/n] as well, and [y/n] soon found himself standing outside the hallway alone with [b/n] while the match was still going on fiercely inside the hall.

"—we can take a taxi and find our way to the hospital."

[b/n] tried to cheer [y/n] up with a small pat on the shoulder. "It's going to be okay, alright? Don't fret so much."

"I— really—" [y/n] managed to choke out a few words of disbelief before he paused again, unable to find words to continue.

His luck was the shittiest.

"W-why did it have to be mum? Why was it you before? W-Why couldn't I ever..."

And suddenly the walls he had built with all his efforts those past few months broke down, the broken pieces getting washed away by tides.

"Why do you always disappear? First dad, then you, then mum..." He felt lighter as words spilt out of his mouth. Words he had refrained himself from saying after all these years. [y/n] continued, unable to stop himself. "I-I'm scared that one day, once I blink, everyth-thing would disappear in an instance!"

"I-I'm sorry—"

"I just need some time." [y/n] cut in, making [b/n] pause in the middle of his sentence. "Alone." He emphasised, staring at the [b/n]'s ear instead, unable to meet his eyes.

He turned around and lowered his head to hide his reddening nose and eyes and hurriedly moved away, his footsteps echoing through the almost empty hallway.

Emotions clouded his thinking as he found himself making his way out of the gymnasium. Perhaps if it had been another day, when [y/n] was still thinking rationally, he would had found it stupid.

But it didn't matter if it was raining. It didn't matter if his team was still playing in the finals.

He needed to leave. To breathe.

He started to run, raindrops hitting his skin.

And he arrived in the middle of Miyagi. Drenched in rainwater and sweat with no idea of where he was.

It was a stupid idea to do something like this. However, at that moment, he didn't care. He had enough.

[y/n] found a bench and allowed exhaustion to take over his body. He laid on the bench, his eyes shut tightly as he allowed rain to fall onto his face. Silent sobs still racked his body, except, the only difference was that he couldn't cry out any tears anymore.

Or perhaps he was so tired to the point he couldn't differentiate between tears and rainwater.

[y/n] choked out a laughter at his own horrible attempt at dark humour. But a cough soon replaced his small bitter laugh.

"Your mother had a heart attack this morning. She... passed away, I'm sorry..."

[y/n] went silent when those words replayed in his head again. He turned and laid on his side, wrapping his arms around him in an attempt to warm himself.

It wasn't the best idea to wander outside in T-shirt and shorts in the middle of the rain. [y/n] was suffering from the consequences and was shivering non-stop. His vision was starting to fade to black the longer he laid under the rain.

"[y/n]!"

The voice sounded distant, like a dream. [y/n] wanted to reply but his body wouldn't move under his command.

Someone touched his arm, shaking him gently.

"Call the ambulance, quick. We wouldn't be able to rush there in time."

"[b-b/n]?" He whispered out in confusion.

"Yes," the voice replied him, sounding a little relieved. "I'm here."

He felt his upper body being lifted up gently before a towel was wrapped around him.

Everything was still blurred out to [y/n] and his vision was still fading in and out.

"I w-want to g-go ho-home to see mum..."

It was silent for a while. The only sounds being the shuffling of footsteps from other people surrounding the area.

"Y-Yeah, let's go home. Soon." [b/n] replied after a while, his voice trembling a little.

[y/n] smiled a little before he completely gave in to the drowsiness.

;;

Short and lousy chapter in my opinion. I didn't write at all those few months while I was on hiatus so my writing skill has depleted. The existence of covid changed my schedule again so I found myself having more free time than I'm supposed to.

So I got back to writing. Anyway, hope you like this chapter. The next few chapters might be a little bit rocky.

Next chapter's going to be in [b/n]'s point of view!