[sixteen]

The calm before the storm...

Karasuno verses Fukurodani.

[y/n] wiped the beads of sweat rolling down his forehead with the back of his hand as his eyes followed the ball. Daichi received it, sending it to Kageyama.

"Nice receive!" [y/n] shouted.

Kageyama tossed the ball with high precision-

However, it was too slow. Hinata had already landed on his feet before the ball reached him. It fell onto the ground, too fast for anyone to react. Everyone gaped at Kageyama in surprise.

"Don't worry about it, Kageyama-kun," Hinata said, patting the setter on the back. However, instead of reassuring Kageyama, it somehow managed to do the opposite.

He turned to Hinata, towering over him as he shouted angrily, "Damn it! That pisses me off!"

"Why?! What else am I supposed to say?!"

[y/n] clapped his hands together. "Hey guys, calm down! It's not something that happens easily."

"[l/n]!" [y/n] heard someone shout. He turned his attention to Coach Ukai, who was waving his hand in the air, calling for [y/n].

"I'm going to switch you out with Tanaka. They are going to try the synchronised attack soon," he said when [y/n] jogged towards him.

[y/n] nodded and took this as a chance to rest his poor legs. He thanked Kiyoko as he took his water bottle from her, gulping a few mouthfuls of water before he walked towards where the others who weren't playing.

10 - 12

"One blocker!" Fukurodani's side shouted. Someone spiked the ball, but Hinata managed to touch it.

"One touch!" He shouted, glancing backwards as he landed on the ground.

There was no one at the side of the court besides Kageyama, so he had no choice but to receive the ball. Nishinoya's eyes sparkled a little when he saw the opportunity to practice a libero set since Karasuno's setter can't toss.

"Got it!" He shouted, shocking the opponents a little.

His eyes glanced at the line to make sure he didn't step over it before he jumped, tossing the ball at the same time. Asahi appeared as he jumped up, his palm connecting with the ball, spiking it over the net and to the other side of the court.

However, it seemed like Lady Luck wasn't on their side today. The ball landed outside of the court, giving Fukurodani one point.

"Out?! That was so close!" Sugawara shouted beside [y/n].

'Appearance can be deceiving...' [y/n] noted as he glanced at his senpai.

"Sorry, my toss was a bit low. Damn it!" Nishinoya shouted and pulled at his hair in frustration.

"I-It was fine!" Asahi said, trying to reassure the boy. "I actually think it was my mistake."

"You need to be honest when I mess up, Asahi-san!"

"Oh, okay... I'd appreciate it if you could toss the ball up a bit higher."

"I know that!"

"That's it! Keep it out!" Coach Ukai shouted encouragingly.

The game continued and both sides were still doing quite well. However, Karasuno still couldn't break as Fukurodani continued leading the game.

"Alright!" Nishinoya shouted as he received the incoming ball, sending it to Kageyama.