[forty-six]

[y/n] had never felt this nervous before. 

He had came across many close wins and a few close losses before, but never had he felt as nervous as he had now, and the game had yet to even begin yet. Perhaps this was the fore-coming warning that this game, will be different from what [y/n] himself was accustomed to. 

Ushijima is a lefty, that was something he knew. He was practically born to be an ace, his left-hand spike and strength rivalling even the best receivers. 

[y/n] could only hear his heart pumping in his chest, the regular rhythm filling his ears, but then, a punch to his abdomen brought him back. 

Sugawara-san. 

[y/n] felt like he could finally breath again, even though his side was hurting like hell. The senior really packed a punch. 

"Hey, no used getting that nervous before it even begin," he told [y/n] sternly. 

[y/n] suddenly felt guilt rushing into him, even though it wasn't technically his fault. Sugawara was Karasuno's official setter until an even better junior had entered, immediately stealing the spot from his right under his nose. But he didn't seemed to mind it, going as far as to help them and Kageyama as much as he could even though it meant he would likely damage even more chances for him to stand on the court as a player. 

He didn't want Sugawara's effort to be wasted, so he nodded. "Thank you, Sugawara-san." 

He then turned his attention back to Coach Ukai. 

"It's natural that Ushijima will score a lot against us. Don't worry about it. You should focus on getting the points back, that's all! The opponents aren't machines, they'll make mistakes too! Do you guys know what to do?" 

"Yes!" 

This match felt really nerve-wrecking, especially with cameras and commenters. Though there will be two commenters actually detailing the whole match if they were to enter nationals. 

"Now, Japan Boys Volleyball Miyagi Prefecture Spring High Finals, Karasuno High VS Shiratorizawa High." 

A woman's voice filled the court, loud and clear. 

The players bowed in respect, the teams facing each other before shaking hands. Then, it was time for the introduction. 

It was Shiratorizawa first, the team members who were called would have to walk up to their coach before walking back in line. 

"Shiratorizawa High, No.1 Ushijima Wakatoshi."

"No.4 Oohira Reon." 

"No.5 Tendou Satori." 

"No.8 Goshiki Tsutomu." 

"No.10 Shirabu Kenjirou." 

"No.12 Kawanishi Taichi." 

"No.14, Libero, Yamagata Hayato." 

Once each of the members were called, it was Karasuno's turn. 

"Karasuno High, no.1, Daichi Sawamura." 

"No.3 Azumane Asahi." 

"No.9 Kageyama Tobio." 

"No.10 Hinata Shouyou." 

"No.11 Tsukishima Kei." 

"No.13 [l/n] [y/n]." 

"No.4, Libero, Nishinoya Yuu." 

"Let's go!" Nishinoya shouted, being the only energetic one in the team. Sometimes, [y/n] wondered if Nishinoya was even nervous or not, with his constant upbeat personality. But everyone needs someone like him in life, being there while the rest of the team falls into pieces to cheer them up. 

[y/n] knew this rotation was weird. But to deal with Ushijima, Ukai had placed the tallest players in the front row and the best receivers (except for Hinata) at the back row. 

The match begins with Daichi's serve. The referee blew the whistle, before the whole court fell into silence, waiting for the serve. 

Daichi served to a nice spot, except it was an out-ball, causing Shiratorizawa to score a point instead. 

0 - 1 

Kawanishi served this time. The ball flew towards the back, in-between Asahi and [y/n]. 

"Got it!" Both of them shouted at the same time and went for the ball, causing them to stop in confusion. The ball drop in-between them, scoring Shiratorizawa another point. 

'Shit, he got us.'  [y/n] clenched his fist, watching as the scoreboard turned into 0 - 2. 

They were all too nervous and stiff. 

"Calm down!" Sugawara's voice sounded, loud and clear from Karasuno's side, outside of the court. "Why are you just giving them points! What are you guys even afraid of?! This is on TV, you know!" 

"We know, we know! You calm down too..." Daichi said, waving his hand at Sugawara. 

It shocked the team. But Sugawara managed to get them moving again, even though it probably annoyed the referee. [y/n] caught him giving a glare to Sugawara, before the game resumed. 

Right, nationals.

With that goal in mind, [y/n] turned back to the game. Their opponents are Shiratorizawa High, not a bunch of robots programmed to play volleyball and win. 

Kawanishi served again, and this time, Daichi was able to pick it up and sent it to Kageyama. 

"Tsukishima!" Kageyama shouted, tossing the ball to the blond middle blocker. Tsukishima spiked the ball down from a high angle, but Goshiki was able to receive it, sending it into the air for Shirabu to set. 

"Ushijima!" 

Oh no...

The six players on the court prepared as Ushijima prepared to spike. Asahi, Tsukishima and Kageyama preparing to block. 

The ball was spiked and flew passed the blockers, towards Nishinoya. Nishinoya angled himself properly, in perfect form as he prepared to receive the ball... 

Except it hit his arm and flew out of the court instead of where it was supposed to be directed to. 

If Ushijima had been right-handed, Nishinoya would have received it well. But because of the different spin it gives the ball when Ushijima spikes with his left-hand, it turned out differently. Players were usually trained to receive right-handed spikes and serve, because majority of the players were right-handed. 

Playing against Ushijima is a blessing, [y/n] decided. 

Nishinoya didn't look defeated, not even when Shiratorizawa's cheers filled the court. Instead, the failed spike seemed to had made him more determined. 

"Here he is, a lefty." 

[y/n] couldn't help but agree. 

It was the first time he had to play against a left-handed player, especially one that had surpassed high school level. 

How interesting...

;;

Sorry for slow updates (>_<), and a short one.