[forty-nine]

[b/n] sighed, as he watched [y/n]'s figure disappeared from his sight, heading back to the direction of the hall back to the ongoing game.

The events that had unfolded, it all still seemed unreal. Reality was slowly crashing back like waves the longer [b/n] dwelled on it. His eyes started to water a little, before he hurriedly rubbed his eyes and calmed himself down with deep breaths.

He had to stay strong for the both of them.

Their official guardian had just died, meaning they would most likely be handed back to their father or uncle, at most for a few more months until [b/n] graduates. Things wouldn't had been that complicated... if only they were a normal functioning family.

[b/n] felt guilty for keeping so many secrets from [y/n], knowing he was probably driving the younger insane with events that didn't make any sense to him but it was for his sake.

Maybe one day, when everything settles down peacefully, he could reveal the truth to him. The truth behind everything.

"[b/n]."

He tensed up in surprise when a voice called out to him. [b/n] slowly turned around, before finding himself face to face with Oikawa and Iwaizumi.

"We saw you..." Oikawa paused for a moment in hesitation. "Is everything okay?"

[b/n]'s eyes met the ground, being unable to face the two eye-to-eye without feeling the need to cry. He couldn't afford to cry now, not when there were responsibilities he had to settle first.

"Family issues happened," he replied, flinching slightly when he realised how monotone he sounded. "It's complicated but... things are going to be okay."

The words sounded so foreign to his tongue.

Everything will be okay.

Even [b/n] himself had a hard time believing this. The words were just spoken out loud to convince himself, mostly.

Oikawa looked unusual with the sympathetic frown he wore. He had never seen him look so downtrodden. [b/n] came to a startling realisation.

Even after what happened, they were still friends. Oikawa and Iwaizumi cared.

"Don't worry," his repeated, the side of his lips curling up to form a smile. Whatever it was, he could face it. He had came so far, it'd be a waste if he were to collapse.

He owed [y/n] a better life, after the shitty things he had done as an older brother. The best he could do now, was be the shield against the trouble that will be coming under their father's care.

"Let's head back to the hall. There's no point dwelling here."

One hour later, and the match against Shiratorizawa and Karasuno had finally ended. [b/n] bit his lip nervously as he continued to look for [y/n] in the crowd, walking as fast he could even with prosthetic legs and crutches.

Karasuno had ended up winning, yet [b/n] couldn't feel any joy on behalf of his brother when he was still missing. He rushed around the hallways, ending up at the boys toilet as a last resort.

"Fuck, you better be here idiot," he murmured, pushing the door open with his shoulder.

The stalls were empty.

[b/n] shut his eyes, taking in a slow deep breath as he tried to figure out nice hiding places within the facilities.

[y/n] was missing, half delirious from lost and anger. If he wasn't in the facility, it must have meant he went out.

[b/n] rushed back into the hall, straight to Karasuno's coach without acknowledging Shiratorizawa. He bumped into Ushijima, who raised his hand in greeting, only to be ignored in his desperate state of mind.