[one]

There was a rumour that Class 1-4 will have a new student today.

"Who would transfer in during the exam season?" Yamaguchi asked his best friend with a confused face.

"Who knows?" Tsukishima answered with a roll of his eyes. He flipped to the next page, eyes scanning the notes he had made for himself. Truth is, Tsukishima was also perplexed by the kid's decision to transfer in at this time. He was awaiting for their teacher to enter and shoot down that rumour. That or introduce the new student.

The bell rang and the students hurriedly entered the class and sat down in their respective seats. None of them noticed the boy sitting at the corner of the classroom by himself, watching his new classmates.

The [h/c] male was the new student. The one almost everybody in his class was talking about today. Some people didn't believe the rumour, some did and were trying to guess the new student's gender while others wondered if he would need to take the exams too.

The class went silent when their teacher stepped in. [y/n] mentally prepared to introduce himself, hoping that all would go well.

"Alright class, I've noticed there's a rumour going around in school that there will be a new transfer student. We do indeed have one," the teacher said before gesturing at the corner of the class. The class' attention turned to the [h/c] male in surprise. Nobody had realised the new student was already in their class earlier. The ones who didn't believe the rumour were gaping at the boy.

"Please come out and introduce yourself."

[y/n] stood up with a sigh before standing in front of the class by his teacher side. The attention of twenty other students on him made him more nervous than he was before.

"Uhh... Hello, I'm [l/n] [y/n]. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too," the students replied, clapping their hands to welcome [y/n].

"Alright class, quiet down. [y/n] please return to your seat. Your exam is about to start soon-"

[y/n] was glad he didn't have to face being bombarded with questions so early in the morning. The exam was quite easy to [y/n]. It was pure luck he did extra studying before transferring to this school. He didn't know that it was the exam season until yesterday. Talk about luck.

During lunch, [y/n] quickly ran out of the class before anyone could talk to him and found a secluded place to enjoy his bento. He really wasn't in the mood to talk to others.

After school, [y/n] dashed out as fast he could, escaping everyone who tried to talk to him. He was running passed the gymnasium when the familiar sound of ball hitting the ground and squeaking shoes stopped him.

Volleyball.

[y/n] hands suddenly itched at the thought of the sports he had been trying to avoid for the past few months. He was tempted to spike the ball, the feeling of excitement and proudness as the ball hit the opposite team's ground and his teammates yell of victory.

Volleyball. The sport that brought him joy and the sport that made him ran away from his teammates. He left Japan, ashamed that he had let that one single incident affect him deeply. He was ashamed that he had left his teammates without them knowing what happened. It affected the whole team. [y/n] did watched their tournaments and he had saw how no one spiked the ball Kageyama tossed.

But, it wouldn't hurt to play a little right?

Most of his former teammates were most likely in Aoba Johsai and [y/n] knew how Kageyama wanted to go to Shiratorizawa. He probably did, seeing how good he was as a setter. Nobody planned to come to Karasuno right? It wasn't even a powerhouse...

It wouldn't hurt right?

[y/n] found himself moving to the gymnasium's doors to push it open. His heart was pumping really fast in his chest to the point where he was afraid it would jump out of his chest. [y/n] raised his shaky hands to the doors and slowly pushed them open...

To find a familiar raven-headed male tossing to an orange-headed male. It was so fast that by the time [y/n] registered what happened, the ball was already bouncing off the other side of the court. [y/n] recognised that toss. It was Kageyama's 'King Toss'.

Wait... Kageyama...

"Tobio..."

Kageyama's head snapped towards the direction of the doorway, a look of surprise on his face.

"[y/n]..." he gasped.

The two stared at each other. [e/c] eyes meeting black ones in disbelief.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" A voice called out to [y/n], breaking the silence. [y/n]'s attention went to the guy who said that. From his demeanour, he could guess that he was the captain.

"Oh uhm... I was just checking out some stuff-" [y/n] replied sheepishly but was cut off by Kageyama.

"He's here to join the volleyball club!"

[y/n]'s jaw dropped. "Wait no-"

"Please accept him Daichi-san! He's the previous captain of the Kitagawa Daiichi male volleyball team and a volleyball prodigy!"

"The captain...?" Nishinoya trailed off, thinking hard. "Do you mean the Fallen Angel of Kitagawa Daiichi?"

Before [y/n] could say anything, Kageyama shouted, "Yes!"

"Damn... you were really good!" A bright smile overtook Nishinoya's face. "My junior high school, Chidoriyama played against yours before. You probably don't remember me, but I'm Nishinoya Yuu, the Libero of this team."

"Let the poor boy talk," Sugawara sighed before he smiled at [y/n]. "I'm Sugawara Koshi, vice captain and setter."

[y/n] laughed a little, rubbing the back of his head with his hand, "I'm [l/n] [y/n]."

"I'm Sawamura Daichi, captain," Daichi said, shaking [y/n]'s hand. "Are you interested in joining the team?"

"N-" [y/n] was about to decline when he saw the pleading look on Kageyama's friend. The carrot head beside him glanced between [y/n] and Kageyama curiously before his eyes widened.

"Hey [l/n]-san! You should join!" [y/n] gaped at Hinata's enthusiasm. "I'm Hinata Shoyo, middle blocker."

"Middle blocker...?" [y/n] said is disbelief, glancing up and down at Hinata. This boy is probably around 162cm and he was assigned to a position where height matters.

"Hey! Don't look down on me! I might be short but I can jump!" The boy said with a determined look in his eyes. The statement stirred something in [y/n]'s heart.

"A tall tall wall looms in front of me. What's the view on the other side? What does it look like? The view from the top..."

The cheers.

The shouts.

He isn't alone.

"One more time!"

"Do you need a reason not to want to lose?"

"The view from the top... it's a view I could never see on my own."

That's right...

"But... if I'm not doing it alone... I just might be able to see it."

Why did he play volleyball again?

The feeling of joy that he gets when he soars in the sky. The view at the top of the summit. Having teammates who cry with you when the game is lost and celebrate with you when the game is won.

"Why don't we play a 3v3 game first? Maybe you can decide if you want to join after that."

To be continued...

[word count]
chapter: 1211
current total: 1588