[nine]

"Hey [y/n]! Join us!"

"Hey [y/n], meet my friends!"

"Hey [y/n], come play with us."

[y/n] was never able to make any friends when he was younger, unlike his brother who was two years older than him.

Despite being a happy and friendly boy, [y/n] could only sit under the shades of a big tree as he watched the other kids his age play together.

Despite being more serious and calm than other kids his age, [b/n] still made many friends.

It irked [y/n].

"Sorry Nii-chan, I have extra schoolwork to complete."

"Sorry, I'm not feeling too well today."

"I... Mum needs my help to run some errands. Sorry..."

And then he sat somewhere, hidden in the shadows as he watched his brother play with his friends.

[y/n] never really understood what friendship was.

He'd talked to his classmates, joined their conversation... but he was always the black sheep. He was the extra puzzle piece that was unneeded.

No matter how much [y/n] tried to adapt to the others, the boy still finds himself alone.

His voice was never heard.

He was never visible.

He wasn't special.

[y/n] thinks [b/n] was too preoccupied with his own life to ever notice... but he was proven wrong when his brother came into his view one day when [y/n] was watching [b/n] and his friends play.

And in his hands was a volleyball.

"Come on [n/n]-chan! Play with us."

"[n/n]-chan?"

"Yeah! I thought about this on the spot! What do you think of it? Cool right?!"

That day, [y/n]'s excuses were ignored.

It wasn't an invitation nor a question.

[b/n] wasn't giving [y/n] any chances to run away.

That day, [y/n] finally experienced friendship.

"Bye [b/n]! Bye [y/n]!"

"Hey [y/n]! Make sure to practice more! Let's play another good game next time!"

Friendship... is something warm.

[y/n] couldn't help but placed his hand on where his heart was located at as he stared at the figures that slowly disappeared down the street.

"What is this?"

He had asked his brother that day. [b/n] never replied.

Instead, he smiled at [y/n] before tossing the volleyball at [y/n], who caught it in surprise.

"Come on, you need to practice to beat them the next time right?"

But there was never a next time.

"Why are we leaving so suddenly? Nii-chan? Mum?"

Nobody replied. Instead, they were busy shoving their possessions into a few backpacks, whispering to each other with a nervous look on their faces.

Later, they left the house in the middle of the night, leaving their biological father alone in that house.

[y/n] was young and naive at that time. He didn't understand why they had to silently leave the home they had lived in ever since they were born and go to their uncle's house instead.