Chapter 19: Discovering the Truth

(Ah, I love writing chapters that lead to an awesome halfway season finale! Seriously, though, this was a lot of fun to write! Even thought Makoto might not think so. Either way, it is nice to see a familiar location appear as well along with a certain mechanic Professor Layton uses. Either way, enjoy!)

(Franziska's POV)

Detention Center, Visiting Room 2

January 26th 8:15 AM

                   I sat down and waited for my father to speak. He seemed hesitate about telling me his work.

"Franziska, I will let you know everything about the First Dark Age of the Law. However, I must give it to you when I know you are safe and away from a few certain figures" my father confessed to me, "I could care less about what happens to Miles, but I care about you. I will not let anything bad happen to you at all. I would never forgive myself if something happened to you"

I closed my eyes and nodded.

"You will deliver anything about the First Dark Age of Law to Scruffy. No one will expect anything from him" I said seriously, "Now, please tell me everything about Alba and our family"

Although I heard Scruffy express a hurt tone from my words, I heard a sigh coming from my father.

"I have to remind myself that you are safe and still have a brother as well as friends who will look after you" he said gently, "Very well. Just be aware, dear Franziska, that if you do this, everyone will look in our family's background and demand changes. Are you prepared to face this?"

I wasn't sure. I've always believed in perfection. I thought I had to be perfect. Yet, after meeting with my brother again and seeing what he wants to be, I know I can be something better than what my father is. Now, am I ready for it?

"Of course, she'll be fine!" Makoto shouted loudly as he stood by my side, "She's got a lot of friends! We will be there to help if she needs anything!"

I was surprised. I had only just met him and yet, he is already willing to help me.

"You don't know a thing about your daughter, sir!" Scruffy said angrily, "She'll be a better prosecutor than you! She'll be as good as her brother! She won't let anything stop her from reaching the justice she knows is right!"

Justice? That actually sounds like the path I will follow. The Justice I believe in to be right! My father was surprised before he gave me his warm smile instead of his cold gaze.

"I see. The path to justice. That is a wonderful path for you to follow, my dear Franziska" my father said with pride in his voice.

Father... You've walked down a path of justice before, but something made you walk down the path of corruption. Though, Miles and his partner were able to stop you from walking down any further on that path, it was too late. I truly lost my father years ago on the day he pulled the trigger to take the life of Miles's father. Father, you were able to support me on my path to become a prosecutor, but I will walk the true path of Justice to bring justice to those who rightfully deserve it! One can look up to their fathers, but one must also acknowledge their father's mistake and carry that burden as well. I will do just that.

"Now, tell me everything about Alba and his connection to us!" I demanded strongly.

"But of course," he said as he grinned, "It should be noted that the First Dark Age was not caused by the same group of people in our group. Our new group is different. It has changed drastically"

So, there was another group before that caused the First Dark Age of Law. That was the age where my father and Miles's father faced each other in court. However, that Dark Age of Law died out as Defense Attorney Mia Fey, Defense Attorney Raymond Shields, and Chief Prosecutor Lana Skye were the ones who worked hard to stop the first Dark Age of Law which came at the cost of Miles's father and the poisoning of Prosecutor Diego Godot Armando. Yet the group my father worked with back then is not the same as the current group. I made sure to take note of this, but also Makoto was taking note as well.