PROLOGUE 0 - ٠

Out of life's school of war — What does not kill me makes me stronger.

- F. Nietzsche

She was no stranger to suffering

She was no stranger to suffering. To death. No, Malak Aboul Gheit knew very well and from a young age what suffering felt like. What death was.

Her mother had died at childbirth, leaving her orphaned, as no-one knew the identity of her father. Her grandmother Fawzia however, had taken her grandchild in, despite of the pain that that caused the elder woman. Malak was for Fawzia the constant reminder of her own daughter; looking at Malak, Fawzia constantly felt the regret of not having supported her own child during a difficult pregnancy and not being present during labor. The regret of not having said goodbye or expressed her love for her daughter one last time. Those feelings oozed from Fawzia, and Malak was no stranger to them. She knew soon enough of her grandmother's suffering.

Yet she knew as well of Fawzia's love for her. Fawzia was for Malak what she had not being able to be for her own daughter, Rania. The first time around, Fawzia had not been ready for motherhood; it came all too soon for the ambitious Egyptian witch, first with a son, Rashid and then with a daughter, Rania. Neither she nor her late husband had been present for their son and daughter — they did not express enough the love and care those children needed and that of course had had its consequences. Good and bad.

That is why the second time around Fawzia, now a seasoned, powerful and prestigious sorcerer, was determined to be what she could not be before — a good mother figure. She cared for her granddaughter Malak, she loved her like her own mother would have, if given the chance. Because if someone were to emphasize just one characteristic about Rania's personality, it would have been precisely that: how loving and caring she was. Fawzia was determined to pass that on to Malak. The baby girl deserved it and so did the memory of her own child.

Thus Fawzia became not only Malak's mom, but also her mentor. In life and in magic. Following Egyptian tradition, Malak was home schooled from a young age, since the country did not impose limitations for the use of magic to underage witches and wizards.

Under the strict yet caring tutelage of her grandmother, Malak developed a wide array of magical abilities and interests, combining the Ancient Egyptian techniques and traditions, with those of the Arab world, touched with the influences of Persian and the cultures of the Far East. Frequent field trips around the globe showed the little girl the different magical and muggle realities, and developed Malak's curiosity and talents. She excelled particularly at Charms, Potions and Transfiguration, and having had a privileged access to the Alexandrian Library, she soon mastered as well all sorts of Ancient Runes.

However, Malak was most deeply fascinated by all sorts of magical creatures. Her grandmother had allowed her to have a pet, and paying homage to her Egyptian roots, Malak had chosen a Kneazle, those cat-like creatures being central figures of the Ancient Pharaonic culture. Hatchepsut, named after the only female ruler of Egypt. Thanks to the creature, Malak knew another dimension of love; she learned to take care of another being and how to protect what she loved. Soon enough, she learned through her beloved pet what suffering was. What death was.