13:١٣ | runes

"So this is the use of ancient runes" a bemused Ron Weasley said

He had been watching what he thought resembled a chess game between Malak against Bill, Percy and Hermione combined. Only there was no board and the pieces were ancient runes.

Malak would pick a protection rune, and the others would try to device a way to defeat it, trying to anticipate the following runes she was going to use afterwards to defend herself. The Burrow, in this case.

For whatever strategy the group tried, Malak had an answer. The Egyptian witch was winning the runes' game. In fact she was crushing it.

Bill found it amusing and extremely challenging on the one hand, but on the other, it was disheartening to think why she was so good at it. She had had no other option but to grow stronger —far stronger than he could have imagined— to face her uncle. Alone. For four long years. He had been so blind.

"This is impossible, Malak" Percy decided. "There is no way he can beat this."

"Maybe," she doubted "but he is good at runes too." Malak paused for a moment "I think our best option is to get Charlie to bring a dragon to protect the house."

She had been desperately trying to reach out to him and cheer him up. The dragon tamer had been so miserable since the episode with Rashid Aboul Gheit.

His siblings told Malak that he had had a hard time when he saw her hurt. But since she had recovered and the process of protecting the Burrow had started, he had been completely absent. "Charlie?"

"Yes, Malak?" he finally turned to look at her, wearing a broken expression on his factions while tears dwelled on his blue eyes. To think she was the cause of it, it broke Malak's heart.

"Bring a dragon to protect the house?" she sheepishly asked, trying her best to smile.

"Sure" his voice quivered as he stood up and went outside of the tiny kitchen.

Malak was left speechless and utterly defeated. She looked at the rune party, asking them with her eyes what she should do.

"Don't worry, I'll take care of him" Bill spoke, decisively standing up and following his brother out.

The curse breaker found his brother sitting on a chair in the small porch of the house,  elbows on his knees, holding his forehead in his hands. Bill sat just accross from him, only a small tea table in between the two siblings.

"Charles."

The dragon tamer looked up, and his red eyes revealed that he had been, in fact, crying. "William."

There was a moment of silence between the two brothers, until Bill decided to speak. "Look, man, I am sorry I didn't say anything about her uncle or did anything when he was here—"

"Why didn't she tell me?" Charlie cut him, his tone irradiating despair.

"About her uncle, you mean?" Bill questioned.