14:١٤ | the picture

"There is something I need to tell you, Malak" Sirius spoke gravely

Malak gulped loudly, as her hand reached instictively to grab Charlie's, who gladly took it, despite Sirius shamelessly staring at the interlaced hands with a frown.

He guided them to Malak's favourite sunroom, where she had played infinite chess games against Bill, sat for tea with Fawzia and discussed dragon breeds with Charlie the previous summer.

"If you don't mind, I would like to speak to my daughter alone" Sirius addressed Charlie, who looked at Malak, silently asking her what he should do.

Malak hesitated. She wanted Charlie with her, but she was afraid of what exactly her father was going to reveal. And also there was the undeniable feeling of animosity that Sirius had displayed towards Charlie since the second they had met, so perhaps it wasn't the best idea.

"It's alright, bunny" Charlie kissed her hand lovingly. "I'm going to take Remus up on that tea, ok?"

Malak nodded slightly as she flashed a quick smile to the dragon tamer, letting go of his hand.

Charlie followed Remus Lupin to the riad of Beit-l-Gheit, where the previus year he and Malak had sat several nights, getting to know each other for the firt time. Where his life had changed forever without him even realizing. He smiled fondly at the memories.

"Don't mind Sirius too much," spoke Remus Lupin, effectively bringing Charlie back from the realm of his own memories. "He might seem a bit rough, but once you get to know him, he is a softy, really."

"Well, he had me fooled for a second, I have to admit" Charlie smirked, sitting down across from him.

"He is just very protective of Malak" the blonde man said, "it's all very new to him — Freedom... Parenthood."

"He didn't know he had a daughter?" the dragon tamer asked, irradiating surprise.

"No, he didn't" Lupin admitted, shaking his head pensively. He paused for a second, pondering whether he should tell Charlie about Malak's mother or not. "Rania never told him... I guess she was overwhelmed, and we were in the middle of a war."

"Yeah..."

"And now this..." Remus thought outloud.

"What is 'this'?" Charlie's question was full of concern. Malak had had enough in the last couple of days — whatever Sirius was telling her, he hoped it wouldn't be too bad, but Remus Lupin's words did not leave a lot of room for positive thinking.

"I am sure Malak would like to tell you herself in due time."

That is all the ex Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher said, before silence befell them.

Charlie was lost in his thoughts, trying to figure out what 'this' could be. The worried wrinkles that appeared on his face left no room for doubt, so Remus Lupin decided to try to distract him with a bit of mindless conversation.