27:٢٧ | the Yule Ball

My dearest Bunny,

My dearest Bunny,

Happy Christmas! Or as Egyptians would say in any given occasion kol sana w enti tayyeba :)

I hope you have an amazing holiday and hopefully the Ball will go smoothly. I've exerted my older brother powers and instructed (forced) George to carry out my duties, so that you don't have to rely on Harry Potter — or Godric forbid, Lee Jordan.

Your favourite twin — don't worry, I won't tell Fred— has been specifically told to not let you fall, so worry not bunny, you are in good hands. All in all, all of my siblings  — yes, Ginny and also, believe it or not PERCY — have strict orders to make sure you have the best time and also to take lots of pictures to always remember this special night. My only wish is that you enjoy yourself as much as possible, and to that end, I have bugged and will continue to bug every person I know :)

Just know that I'll be thinking of you, Malak. As a matter of fact, a day never ends without a thought of you. A moment never passes by without my heart reminding me of how much you mean to me. I can't wait to see you again, bunny. I can't wait to hold you in my arms.

I know it's been a rough couple of months, but it will all be alright the second I see those green eyes of yours again. The second I see you smile. I live for that, Malak, be sure of that.

Always.

- C

The last paragraphs of the letter Malak Aboul Gheit received on that Christmas morning seemed to be slightly smudged. The sender had taken the time to write over it again, but it was obvious that the original writing had blurred in certain spots, as if small droplets of water had fallen on it.

Perhaps Charlie had written it on a rainy morning. But in Romania and Scotland alike, winter had brought heavy snowstorms. Perhaps those were snowflake marks, then.

Malak couldn't help to shed a tear or two thinking about it.

"Bas ya Loli (enough, ya Loli)," Rawia spoke with a soft smile, as she sat on Malak's bed next to her, looking over her shoulder to scan through the letter.

"Howwa wahashni, ya Roro (I miss him, ya Roro)," Malak confessed, allowing herself to  slide on to her, until she rested her head on her friend's shoulder

"Aiwa akeed, bas khalas ya Malak (of course, but that's it, ya Malak)," her friend insisted. "You shouldn't cry. Yalla nfter? (Let's go have breakfast?)"

"Mesh adra (I don't feel like it,)" Malak replied, biting herself in the depths of her bed.

Rawia Zaghloul had never been one to take no for an answer, and she knew perfectly well how to get her childhood best friend moving.

"Yalahwi el bard da, ya Roro! (Goodness, the coldness, ya Roro," Malak hissed, as soon as the warm duvet was violently taken away.