3:٣ | el beit beitak

After what she now referred to as 'the incident' with her uncle, Malak Aboul Gheit had learned the hard way to be extremely careful about her moves within Egyptian society

After what she now referred to as 'the incident' with her uncle, Malak Aboul Gheit had learned the hard way to be extremely careful about her moves within Egyptian society. She learned from her adored house elvettes Samia and Lamia that his uncle had been in fact banished from Beit-l-Gheit by Fawzia about 25 years ago, just as Bill Weasley had suggested. The reason why still remained unanswered. But he wanted in again, that much was clear to Malak. So she needed to be careful, protect the house, as well as herself, but without letting any curious eyes know what she was doing.

It was a hectic task to do in the moths prior to her depart to join Hogwarts. Moreover, she had started a small potion-brewing business, to keep her busy as well as to defray the expenses of the house, including the wage of the house elves, both of which insisted on having it cut down significantly following Fawzia's death, so that young Malak wouldn't have to carry that burden as well. But Malak was stubborn and the Egyptians were known to be terrible potion makers, so she had found a niche market to explore and keep her finances up, not using too much of Fawzia's life-long savings, otherwise she will be running out soon. A business that she hoped to be able to keep alive even while at Hogwarts, somehow.

Luckily for her, the beginning of 1991 had brought along the friendship of Bill Weasley, and had allowed Malak to cement a strong bond with the oldest Weasley. Malak had been inclined to trust the red-haired wizard, sensing only pure intentions from his side. He was a curse breaker at Gringotts Bank branch in Egypt, his office located not far away from Beit-l-Gheit, so he had made a habit to check on the 13-year old witch every Thursday after work. A habit Malak was most grateful for. They would have lunch together, play some chess —Bill was getting much better at it, thanks to Malak's influence—, and discuss magic.

As she prepared to transition for the warm Egyptian summer to the humid and cold Scottish autumn, she couldn't help but to feel almost nostalgic. Throw in a bit of fear in the mixture of sensations, but the good one —the fear that sparkles your curiosity and pushes you beyond your comfort zone. She felt excitement.

Bill Weasley had told her that traditionally, Hogwarts students prepared for the starting of the term by doing their shopping at a place called Diagon Alley, which she had imagined to be a sort of El Mo3ez Street in her native Old Cairo. He had arrange for Malak to meet his brothers, Percival, Fred, George and 1st year Ronald, so that they would guide her. She was ready. As much as she could be, anyway.

 As much as she could be, anyway