22. 𝐂𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞

Kayla's POV

i reached the wreck 10 minutes late for my shift, so i quickly got to work.

so apparently John B is going to live in Tannyhill with Sarah Cameron. it was kind of weird and obviously kie wasn't looking too happy about it either.

"Okay, look, the only reason I'm living there is because her dad bailed me out, right? And it's way better than foster care, which, by the way, is where I was about to go if Ward didn't..." he was cut off by pope who was curious about whether he gets 'membership'

after all the questions were answered and my shift was done we looked at the map of Tannyhill. and searched high and low for where this map had mentioned the 'gold' was supposed to be.

we found the stone wall we were searching for. "this is it"

"not the Crain house" John B said looking up at the house in front of us."I heard Mrs. Crain buried her husbands head on the property."

we walked into the property searching for any sign of water. "you guys know who lives in this place right?" Kiara asked smiling widely.

I didn't really know what happened here but JJ seemed to really be affected by it

I didn't really know what happened here but JJ seemed to really be affected by it. "what stories did you hear" Pope asked Kiara. "The one where she killed her husband with an axe and that she's been holed up ever since." I could say Kiara was playing with the guys by her expressions.

"On certain nights, when the moon is full... you can see her in the window!" she said to the the two boys who were genuinely scared, I laughed and so did she. John B seriously looking around for the water ignoring all the jibber jabber.

"No, it's not funny, 'cause it's all true. I swear to God, guys, this is all real. I knew Hollis." JJ said and Pope curiously asked him how he knew 'Hollis crane' apparently she was his baby sister.

"So as a kid, she heard all the stories that her mother killed her father, and... she was a murderer and all. Hollis didn't believe it. Until that night." JJ started

"What night?"

"It all came back to her." JJ continued as i shook my head.

"When Hollis was six years old, she heard her parents arguing downstairs. she goes downstairs to see her mom washing her hands in a sink... full of blood. Her mother just says that she cut her finger. The next morning, she says her father and her split up."

"Weeks pass, and Hollis decides to use the outhouse. And as she's using it, she looks down, and there, in the outhouse, is her father's head, looking straight back at her." he finished dramatically, I took this chance to scare him from behind

"boo!" I tiptoed and whispered to his ear, and he jumped with a tiny girlish squeal. "jeez Kayla, are you tryna kill me or something" he said low key embarrassed.

"so much for the manly exterior, we all just witnessed your inner girl" the others laughed. I slowly passed him winking at him, making him shake his head.

"So here's the plan. We need to look for the wheat near the water like it said in Denmark's letter." and there we were still searching when a pair of arms carried me "JJ"

"just know that i'm gonna get my payback" he said putting me down before I got mad. "Hey, psst! Hey, come on. It's the only place we haven't looked." John B said walking into this tiny shed thing.

♪Down came Mrs. Crain And cut off all our heads ♪

♪Up came the sun And dried up all the blood ♪

JJ started singing annoying everyone. "can you stop" there were so many mosquitoes all over though, biting each of us and we kept trying to kill them. "Another dead end?" kie looked around annoyed. " you know why we didn't find it, bad karma" she continued. "oh no here we go" JJ said.

"we had a good thing going, And then you decide to rope in Barbie, and now the trail's gone dry. Coincidence? Probably not" she stated looking at john B.

"This is exactly why I didn't wanna tell you about Sarah. What the hell's the deal with you two?" John B asked moving closer to her. "nothing" Kiara replied staring at him dead in the eye. "nothing? why is it because i kissed you? is that the problem" he said everyone went quiet and he earned thundering slap from kie. he held his cheek in shock.

"oh shit" "that echoed dude" JJ and pope commented from the side. " Stop treating me like I'm some girl that's obsessed with you instead of your best friend who's actually trying to look out for you." Kiara said.

"did you ....hit me?" John B said facing her again. "skeeter" she said showing her hand which had a dead mosquito on it. John B slapped her right back, "oh, hey!" "okay.." pope and JJ back at their side comments. "skeeter"

"where your proof?" kie asked and John B presented another dead mosquito. this was low key fun, I slapped JJ all over and said "skeeter" laughing. He looked at me "my turn" he said trying to get his revenge, but I ran away with him chasing me. Everyone was playing when pope started moving these wooden boards.

we all went up to where he was "help me move this" he said. when we saw this deep well with water, "well, well, well" Pope said looking down. "that was a good dad joke" John B replied.

"this is where she hid the bodies" JJ said and we all just looked at him