13. 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐫

His hands embraced the girl and she didn't know whether to hug him back because she was still in shock, He looked at her and then noticed she wasn't nearly as happy as him. "Kayla?" He said the girl was facing the floor, he slowly held her face up. "I'm with Rafe JJ" She said and that moment she could feel his heartbreak. She saw his eyes and she saw his movements he stepped back before his phone started ringing. he took his phone to his hand and then spoke. "I gotta go" He said running away and Kayla didn't even stop him. She didn't even know if she regretted telling him. She walked up to the bedside table and looked at the bottle of pills tilting her head, were they the reason she didn't even react to JJ well.

The fact that the drug was probably still in her system and the boy she thought to be her soulmate was now gone and she had pushed him away. She had finally come to terms with the boy being gone and this peice of information flooded into her and she didn't know what to do. It physically pained her. when the door to her room knocked again. 

Not even knowing how to explain to Rafe what had happened with one hand on her head she slowly walked towards the door and opened it to meet with her cousin. Thea walked in the room, "dude no fair! My room is like so tiny compared to this" She said and Kayla didn't even bother talking to her. Her brain still processing what exactly had happened.

 Now that she had pieced every bit of information together and attempted to make it make sense she came to think about thea. How did he get in home? did thea see him and lie to me. Thea was here, she could've easily been the one that let him in. She was the only other person that knew which room they were in. JJ walked in when Rafe had gone! It was all Thea. This was a place full of rich people the security wouldn't be that bad for JJ to just run in. Someone had to let him in. Kayla thought putting the puzzle to one. "It was you" Kayla said and Thea looked at her in confusion. "You were the one that did this to me! I was doing fine before JJ came back, Rafe and I were happy and now....I don't know what to do" She yelled.

"what are you talking about?" Thea asked and Kayla scoffed at how she thought her cousin played innocent, "You told him where we lived, you let him in! You told him about the hotel." Kayla confronted her and Thea looked shocked or was it afraid of what Kayla was capable of. "It wasn't me Kayla, I don't know what you're talking about" She said moving away from her cousin who was walking towards her. "Why would you do that though, you could've easily slept with him since you seemed to enjoy that before....or you are trying to get with Rafe because....well... since we were kids. you have always wanted my boys" Kayla began to rethink everything.

"Kayla I didn't come to find you to help him! It was something else i-" Before she could finish Kayla yelled, "don't fucking lie to me!" she yelled and her cousin replied, "I'm not lying!" Kayla walked away from her cousin in anger, she went opposite to where she took out a duffel bag searching for its contents. On point Rafe walked in, he noticed the tension between the two wasn't good. "Girl fight? hot" He said not realizing what he was butting himself into, both girls ignoring his comment. Kayla took out a gun from the bag and admired it. "I have nothing to do with your mental status Kayla! It's not my fault you're picturing your ex all the time" Thea spoke and that sentence was enough to make Rafe understand what the argument was about.

"He is not my imagination!" Kayla yelled back now holding up the gun. "He....held my hand! he wiped my tears, He is real!" her voice broke and Rafe ran  up to the girl what he heard shocked him. "Kay you don't need that" He said walking towards her slowly. "Rafe! she did this to us. She brought JJ into everything and she's trying to ruin my life." her eyes still dead set on her cousin who wasn't admitting to what she did. Rafe on the other hand, He had too many questions but he wanted to take care of her before he did anything. "Thea get out!" he instructed and she took a moment and did.

Rafe slowly took the gun out of her hands. "Why are you defending her?" She asked him, "I'm not" he said. "bull shit! She walks into it all and everything goes bad but somehow you are still keeping her alive" Kayla said and Rafe looked down at her. "Kayla we can't just go killing people because they annoy us" he said. "but she didn't just annoy me, she is trying to make me leave you! she brought JJ here Rafe" those words shocked Rafe at the moment but it was not like he hadn't seen it coming. Thea was never going to just help her cousin was she?

"Are you sure it was her kay?" He asked calmly, "am i sure- yes i am just because she refuses to admit it doesnt make me wrong rafe! it all makes sense now." She said pacing up and down the room. "not every question is answered just because thea is in it. we don't know how exactly she found the pogues in order for her to help them! we don't know half of it" Rafe said sitting on the edge of the bed with his hands on his head. 

Kayla too now slowly calmed down and sat down next to him, she was calm finally and it only got her thinking about how she had felt JJ's hands on her face but how heartless she was to let him go. As much as she thought she was better off thinking he was dead she couldn't go back. she was burdened by thoughts every second and at this point she wanted to leave both rafe and jj and just be alone but she could never. she needed one of them but she couldn't choose who.

"I told him Rafe" she said while playing with her fingers looking to her side at the boy next to her. before he could question her about what exactky she meant she added to it. "I told him i was with you, JJ" and with the sound of his name he looked up at the girl both facing each other. 

he felt as if he didn't deserve it. he thought that one day if JJ returned Kayla would leave him as soon as she got the chance but he felt as if he was wanted with her. "you know I'll protect you right" he asked her and she nodded and he hugged her. his hands slowly moved to her torso and started to tickle her, "not the time, please don't" she warned before he jumped and attacked her with tickles and kisses. "stoooop!" she said between laughs and she attempted to kick him aside but she was powerless taken away by all her energy into the her curled up stomach trying to stop the boy. He laughed too seeing the girl that he loved, the girl that he thought he might never get back when he used to see her with JJ, now in his arms. 

"you need to sleep more today" Rafe stopped getting off the bed and taking her bottle of pills which only had 3 tablets left. "like sleep with you?" she asked sitting up. He looked at her and laughed, "no i meant like actual sleep!" he walked up to her with a bottle of water. "so you don't want me to sleep with you?" she asked him and he sat next to her, "i do but not when you're like this" he meant her dried up tears, her energy less body and her broken smile that even though she tried to hide the fact that she was so scared and confused he could see it in her. because he analyzed every little detail about her. 

__________________
okay so the Jayla fans i need y'all to understand that kayla can't suddenly just fall back into her old self and run off with JJ because she believed he was dead for months. she was super shocked even though she might not act like it because the pills are clouding her head and she is trying to push him away without making anything complicated. BUT that doesn't mean they don't have any hope because ngl I myself am a pretty big Jayla fan.