5. 𝐩𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞𝐬

Maybe it wasn't as bad as they thought at first the pogues tried to convince themselves sitting in the island. Reaching the spot they told themselves they would make the best of every moment. JJ smiled and laughed as the pogues decided but inside he was just broken and scared of what would have happened to Kayla. It had been atleast 3 weeks now, being in the island. Not that they knew how long it had been. Pope carving the dates on a tree everyday was positive it was exactly 20 days. They found an old tree house built around there with no sight of anyone else so they cleaned it up and used it to stay at nights. 

the mornings consisted of searching for food, surfing, attempts at fishing and other things. They built hammocks in between two trees, How long it had been didn't matter the pain of not knowing what happened to Kayla  was always constant. The others didn't force JJ to come over when they joked around and played games. they knew that he was still coping with it. Maybe the first five days they too were constantly flooded with the thought of their friend who wasn't with them. 

The girls had put up a small campfire, Pope and Sarah listening to Kie and Cleo telling them about how they thought they were being followed by some animals just to be attacked by each other, "JJ man you coming" John B walked up to JJ throwing his t-shirt over his shoulder and sitting next to his bestfriend a little far from the campfire. "do you guys not think about her?" He asked eyes fixed on the fire. John B took a minute before responding. "they might not get it JJ. She was a lot closer to us than them" He said eyeing the rest of them who were laughing and having fun. "they just have hope that they will see her when we get back" He said. "what if she isn't there anymore, what if she is suffering right now while we sit here having fun." He asked now moving his eyes towards John B who sat beside him. "dude, you know KayKay she's probably back at the obx keeping everyone together, I refuse to believe she isn't alive or whatever morbid shit you're saying" He said, JJ sat in silence. he thought John B was taking the easy way out and assuming for the best but he wanted to think more realistically than that, he wanted to be sure that his princess was indeed doing fine but he had no way.

John B too was afraid, afraid of what happened to his sister. his best friend. But he didn't show it because he wanted to be the strength for everyone around him. He needed to be strong for his friends. How would she go back to the obx if she was in a boat with the Cameron's. They wouldn't turn all the way back for her, that's if they spared her life. JJ thought harder and knew Rafe  wouldn't ever let them hurt Kayla let alone murder her and that was maybe the only time he would thank the Cameron boy. thinking of the Cameron boy frightened him, the thought of his girl being with that boy now that he was gone. John B cut the silence. "As soon as we get out of this place we are going to go get her JJ" the words somehow brought comfort to JJ. "whatever it takes" he added. 

JJ nodded, he wasn't going to worry about something that probably had nothing wrong with it in the first place. Cleo sat near Pope and watched the two boys who were talking a far. "Are they always like that?" She asked Pope who looked at the two of his friends and by their expressions he instantly knew who they were talking about. "JJ, no he is nothing like that usually the life of the party" Pope told her and she recalled her first time meeting him, The girl whom she was positive they called kayela or was it Kayla, hugging him as if there was no tomorrow. She didn't know too much but she did know that the love they had was different, special. 

JJ and John B walked in not with the sad look anymore, they had talked it out. they were going to leave here one day and get Kayla back but while they were here they would enjoy their time. JJ went and sat near Kiara. Kiara, she missed Kayla a lot but she followed her belief of thinking everything happened for a reason so maybe Kayla was fine out there and maybe not but she wasn't going to be pessimistic and chose to believe her friend wasn't doing okay and she stayed positive. she believed that Kayla was out there waiting for them to come back. 

"you okay?" Kie asked JJ who sat near her and he nodded, her arm creped around his shoulder giving him a small comfort hug as he smiled. after the nights bonfire they went back to the hut to sleep for the night. JJ sat outside for awhile staring at the stars of the night sky, only hearing the sound of the waves crashing onto the beach. this was something even the psychotic Kayla somehow found comforting. going to the rooftop and staring at the stars. Kiara came and sat next to the boy admiring his features. "you thinking about her?" She asked causing him to let go of his thoughts realizing she was there. "how can I not?" he smiled. "maybe you should just hope that she is doing fine and have some fun here JJ" She said genuinely concerned for the boy because it was eating him up. 

he didn't reply. She stood up and held her hand out. he looked at kiara then her hand and back at her. holding it he stood up as she pulled him into the beach. waves crashing against them.

flashback

"c'mon JJ" Kayla and JJ had just left Rafe alone to watch some movies and come out for a good nights surf. the two going deeper into the water both with wide smiles, suddenly Kayla looked around and couldn't spot the blonde boy anymore. "JJ?" She asked while the waves kept pushing her towards the beach. they had gone deep enough that her legs weren't touching the ground. "JJ!" She yelled this time. Suddenly from under she felt someone pull her down as she took a deep breath only to realize the mischievous boy was the one attempting to scare her.

this was the one night before all the drama. before Sarah and John B went missing, before anything was wrong.

losing air she jumped back up, "I would've killed you!" she yelled as the boy began laughing water dripping from his hair onto his face. "I'd like to see you try" he said moving closer to the girl as she wrapped her legs around his waist and hands around his neck floating on the water. he placed his lips on hers as she did his tasting the salty water on them. Kayla pulled away wanting to say something and JJ scrunched his eyebrows. "i heard people say that the salty water is just fish pee" Kayla said and JJ shook his head, "shut up" He laughed kissing her again

end of flashback

and somehow JJ felt as if he was betraying Kayla when he was with Kie, but he never did anything about it. The memories only hurt him and got him to think about her more and now he was just going to hold on to the belief that she was somewhere out there having a goodnight's sleep waiting for him to come around. 

Ironic since she was an insomniac. But rafe always did stay with her in the night, sometimes with his own mood swings he wouldn't but if he thought she was hurt he would do anything to make sure it wouldn't happen to her again. JJ may have been the one wanting to be with her during these times but it wasn't him. He didn't know what she had become and she didn't know he was alive because now it was only Rafe and Her