Chapter 19

"Hey, we have to go somewhere," Zain said when we got off of the bus.

"Yes let's go then" I replied and started following him.

Zain led me to a park which is near my house and took me near the pond that was in the park.

"Do you remember this place Maryam?" Zain said.

"Of Course I know this is my favourite place in this town. I've spent a lot of time here whenever I feel sad or I miss my mom, dad and Munif. I always used to come here and spend hours here so that my Grandma doesn't find me in that state and feel upset" I answered.

"Don't you remember anything when we were young and used to play here it was our favourite place to play around" Zain said.

"Uh-hh I don't remember anything about us playing here but what I do remember is I feel safe in this place and this place feels so special to me but I don't remember any special event here that makes this place special to me" I said.

"Wait you don't remember anything when you were young or before we left this town?" He asked.

"I remember everything when I was young and my parents left this town. That's why I always missed them and felt so lonely when they had left me" I answered. "But I don't remember anything about us being friends," I added.

"That means you remember everything except me?" He asked.

"I'm sorry but I already tried so hard to remember but I don't have any memories of you" I answered.

"Ohh then let's go home" Zain said.

"No, I mean I want you to remind me of everything that I don't remember." I said.

"Look at the swing beneath that tree" Zain said pointing at the tree standing beside the pond and there is a swing attached to one of the branches of that tree.

"Yes I love sitting on that swing" I said.

"Back then you were so afraid sitting on swings but I encouraged you so you believed me and sat on it and from then on that swing became your favourite thing to play and you always wanted to come here with me and I always helped you to sit up on it because you were so tiny and push that swing so that you can enjoy... sometimes you don't even want to go back home for lunch" He said smiling widely.

"That's why I love sitting on it" I said and ran towards the swing and hopped on that swing.

"Should I push the swing for you" he asked and I nodded then he started pushing the swing and I giggled.

"Wait here I'm coming," Zain said.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"You just wait here" he answered.

"Okay" I said and he went somewhere I don't know.

This place reminds me of those days when I was here alone with my grandma. I didn't had any friends back then and all of my classmates called me loner and nobody wanted to befriend me. Actually, I was the one who made the wall between me and others. Maybe I don't want to be close to someone who can leave me alone, just like my parents and Zain left me. Maybe it was good that I don't remember him because if I had remembered him and remembered him leaving I could've been more sad than I was back then.