Chapter 39

It's my engagement day and I'm so nervous. I need someone to talk about these nervousness and what I'm going through right now and now I'm feeling the loss of not having many female friends. My only female friend is on her honeymoon. Since it's a small function we didn't get to invite many people and the function is going to happen in our house garden. All of my cousins from my mother's side didn't get to come because they are living in different cities. Most of them are married and most of them are still bachelors. Only Zain's family and some of my father's and mother's really close friends are invited. I had a talk with Zain yesterday on call and he said he will be there early at the function but he's still not here.

It's evening and I've already prayed my Maghrib Salah.

Right now I'm sitting on a chair in my room in front of the mirror wearing a peach coloured mermaid lace gown with full sleeves. The lace is engraved with shiny material. It's a beautiful gown designed by mom. Well these are the perks of having a designer mother. Mrs. Samaira Hussain, a known makeup artist in the city and one of my mom's friends, is doing my make-up. I told her to make it look natural and not to overdo it.
I wanted my engagement to be simple but mom wanted it to be memorable because it's her eldest child's engagement.

When she was done with my makeup I looked at myself in the mirror. She has done a natural minimal makeup look. She has used a light base to give an even tone, with subtle colours to accentuate my features. She has made my look all peachy and pinky, just like I'm blushing. It’s the perfect makeup look because I wanted to look great but not all made-up. It's even making me look flawless, while not distracting from your natural features.

She put my hair in a bun and after covering it with a tube cap she tied my matching hijab beautifully using a lot of pins.

When I was ready she went out of the room to meet mom. Mom, dad and Munif are busy with all the arrangements. Uncle Adnaan and Aunt Fatima are also doing a lot of effort for the arrangements but I've not seen Zain once. According to his schedule he has a day off today.
After a while mom came into my room.

"Oh Allah I can't believe you're going to get engaged" mom said and I smiled.

"You're looking beautiful dear" she complimented and I can see tears in her eyes.

"Thank you," I replied.

"I can't believe that you're going to get married and you're going to leave us" she said sadly.

"Mom, don't say this, I'm not going to leave the city or country. I will always come to meet you and today is my engagement, not my wedding," I said.

"I love you sweetheart" she said.

"Love you too mom, now don't make me cry I'm going to ruin my make-up" I said while hugging her.

After a while she went out of the room. Then Munif came to my room.

"Hey girl, what did you do to my sister?" He said dramatically.

"Here I'm dying out of nervousness and you're joking around?" I said angrily.

"Why are you nervous they're not an outsider, they're our family. You don't have to be uncomfortable around them" he said.

"I'm nervous because it's all new to me and it's just normal for brides to be nervous, no?" I almost said like asking him.

"Well I don't know," he said. "You're looking beautiful by the way," he said.

"Thank you, why did you come here?" I asked.

"Oh yeah Zaid and his family is here I came here to bring you downstairs" he said.

"Oh" I said.