Chapter 39 -Concerned Expressions-

"Hello Barty." I greet the man after he whisks me into an empty classroom.

"No time for small talk Ms.Black, the third task is approaching and I have a specific task for you." Crouch Jr. darts his eyes around the room and licks his lips.

"Very well, what is it?" I ask, growing impatient of the crazed man.

"Although you have proven yourself, I feel the need to instruct you for your third task. The final challenge is a maze in which the champions must find the Triwizard Cup, I would like you to turn this cup into a port key." He explains.

"You want me to turn it into a bloody port key?" I question, my eyes growing wide.

"Yes, it will take the boy directly to the dark lord. " Crouch Jr. says gruffly and takes a swig from his flask.

"Where may I ask? It will be crucial in developing the port key." I raise my eyebrow quizzically.

"To the old cemetery in the village of Little Hangleton, it is there that Harry Potter will be killed by the Dark Lord." He flashes a sinister smile.

"I assume that the death eaters will be present?" I ask, my mind wandering towards the thought of Lucius.

"Yes, but don't worry you will be among them soon child. You live up to the nobility of the Black name, unlike your filthy blood traitor father." Barty sneers and my body heats with anger despite remaining a clam exterior.

"Speaking of family, I hear your father went missing a few days ago. Strange is it not?"

"He had to be taken care of, and I will expect you to do the same with any others suspicious of you." He says gruffly before retreating from the room.

A feeling of nausea overcomes me at the thought of those words. It was obvious after the party a couple weeks ago that Fred Weasley had a growing suspicion of me. Not to mention the fact he had been stalking me even further, watching me in class and following me down the corridors occasionally. A sick and evil thought crawled into my mind as I thought back to his investigative ways.

Would I have to take care of him too?

Sure, I absolutely loathed the boy but having to kill him was just unimaginable. To take the life of another was a thought that had crossed my mind several times while thinking towards my future allegiance to the Dark Lord. However, taking the life of another student had never occurred to me, especially Fred Weasley. I couldn't even think about having to watch the light drain from his eyes, the fire in them wither out.

Another wave of nausea overcame me and I sprinted to the bathroom, holding the bile back in my throat. I threw myself into the nearest stall and hunched over the toilet, ridding myself of my sickness. I sat on the cold tile, my limbs shaking and thoughts in a dizzy swirl. Gripping the side of the stall, I wobbly lifted myself and opened the door. Walking over to the sink, I turned on the faucet and splashed my face with water, attempting to fix my disheveled state. Rubbing my eyes I looked up at the mirror and let out a startled scream.

"No need to be so jumpy Snake." Fred Weasley chuckles, but it seems more hollow than usual.

"Why the hell do you keep following me?" I say bitterly.

"I know that you're doing something involving the tournament Rees. I also know that whatever it is must be the reason you are shaking right now." He gestures down to my still wobbly limbs.

"Just stop. Okay it doesn't concern you and it never will." I snap.

"It does concern me Snake, it concerns me because you are afraid." He says with a strange sincerity in his tone.

"I am not afraid, and I would prefer if you didn't pretend to care about my well being."

"Despite how much I hate you Rees, I do care about you to an extent." He runs his hands through his hair and I notice his face is rather flushed at this declaration.

"I know that's a lie Weasel, because if you did then you would leave this alone." I glare at him coldly.

"Fine."

"What?" I ask, thoroughly perplexed at his agreement.

"I said fine, I will leave it alone. Just don't expect any concern from me in the future Snake." He responds darkly and leaves me alone in the bathroom.

I let out a frustrated sigh and start to root through my robes for my two most valuable items, a cigarette and my Walkman. Lighting the cig with my fingers, a new trick I had learned, I took a long drag. Even if smoking did kill me, the sense of calm I received from it was well worth it. Plugging in my Walkman and putting in the tape Sirius had got me for Christmas, I smiled softly. The tune of Starman by David Bowie ricocheted off the bathroom walls while I went over towards the window and looked at the groups of students on the ground.

They were all huddled together, laughing and immersing themselves in the pleasure of each other's company. How foolish they were. How foolish to think that all was good in the world and that friendship would last. Friends never remain, the group will dwindle over time until you are left with only yourself. Alone, and unwilling to let anyone in, for not only their protection but your own.

These were the thoughts plaguing my mind when I had shut out Fred Weasley, standing before me with his face full of concern.

Concern for what though?

Concerned that he wouldn't have me to entertain him with an argument? Concerned that he wouldn't be able to push me up against library walls to escape detention? He couldn't actually care for me, if he did then his feelings would not be reciprocated. For I did not care for others, the only person in my life that had looked out for me was myself. It would always be me when it came down to it and I was not about to let anyone change that. Maybe I could let Sirius past my walls but then again we were practically strangers weren't we?

No, it was best to keep to myself and continue on with my tasks for the dark lord. Though I couldn't help but think of those ridiculous brown eyes staring straight through me, creating an odd feeling in my chest.

Those eyes that belonged to my supposed enemy and the person I most loathed. Yet, I supposed that wasn't entirely true since it wasn't Fred Weasley that I hated the most, it was myself. Me and my dark thoughts and inability to let those bright brown eyes swallow me whole.