Chapter 40 - The Maze-

Sometimes I absolutely hate working for the dark lord, especially as of right now. I was currently cooped up in the library double checking all my work that had gone into making the port key. The process itself wasn't all too difficult but having to sneak in and get my hands on the cup was torture. I had nearly been caught by Dumbledore himself and narrowly escaped after bewitching the cup. My nerves were a complete wreck seeing as though this was my most important task and would be the one to hand Harry directly over to the Dark Lord.

The third challenge was taking place today and I wasn't sure if I could bare to watch it. Of course Crouch Jr. had insisted that I attend to help him afterwards if anything goes wrong. However, I couldn't fathom sitting in the crowd and waiting to hear everyone's screams upon the news of death. This final task was going to change everything, the Dark Lord would fully return and my path would be set.

I guess Trelawney was right about the whole darkness will surround me prediction seeing as though I will get the dark mark as soon as I leave school. Whatever, I guess it will be like getting a free tattoo in a way, except slightly more painful.

"Hey bookworm." Adrian and Graham slide into the seats across from me, interrupting my thoughts.

"Hey prats." I quip, keeping my eyes trained on the page I was reading.

"We haven't seen you in a while." Graham says in a somewhat curious tone.

"Iv'e been busy." I dully reply.

"I figured, considering that you haven't been eating." Adrian says disapprovingly.

"There's more important things than stuffing my face." I snap and finally remove my eyes from the book.

"Yes well you look like you're on the verge of death." Adrian gestures to my gaunt appearance.

"Wow Pucey you really know how to flatter a girl." I say in a mock tone.

"Okay that's it we are getting you out of this library and you are coming to watch the final task with us." Graham begins to pull me out of my seat as I attempt to hit him with my book.

"Let go of me before I kill you both." I gasp in between struggling out of their grasp.

"Sure you will now come on." Adrian tightens his grip on my arm and they continue to lead me out of the library. I eventually stop flailing my arms and reluctantly give in to their hold on me.

"Any ideas about what the task is?" Graham questions from beside me.

"No clue." I lie and give him my most convincing shrug.

"I think we're about to find out." Adrian says while looking ahead of us in awe. Where the quidditch pitch once stood, there was now a giant maze in place of it. The maze itself was expansive and made entirely of what appeared to be vines. Of course the stands were already packed and loud chatter filled the air.

"Merlin's beard." Graham's whispers while looking at the never-ending maze.

" Okay enough gaping you two, let's find our seats." I link our arms as we march towards the crowd. Finding a seat towards the front, we plop ourselves down and I sprawl my feet out. Looking down at the entrance of the maze I see Crouch Jr. , disguised as Moody of course, talking to a nervous Harry Potter. It was ironic that the only comfort Harry was getting was from the man who was basically leading him to his death.

Even though I had done all of the work, Barty had decided that for this task he would be the one to eliminate the other contestants while in the maze. Meanwhile, I would sit back in the audience and wait for his signal if anything wasn't going according to plan. For example, if Harry did somehow survive, it would be my job to keep the teachers distracted while Crouch Jr. whisked Harry away.

"I think they're about to start." Adrian announces excitedly and I roll my eyes.

"Just wait Filch will no doubt set the cannon off early aga-" Graham is cut off by the loud blast of the cannon and the three of us start to snicker. The contestants wearily step into the maze and disappear out of view, heading down the dark pathway.

A sinking feel grows in the bottom of my stomach as I look around at all the eager faces. They had no clue that their beloved Harry Potter would soon perish and in return the Dark Lord would regain his power. I tried to will myself to be saddened by his inevitable death, but it was difficult seeing as though I hardly know the boy.

Shifting my gaze, I spot Draco a couple rows away staring excitedly out at the maze, no doubt waiting for Potter to lose the challenge. He had no clue that Harry wouldn't be returning, nor that Lucius would be one of the reasons behind it. The funniest thing was that it was me who would be the main reason behind the screams that would erupt in the next half hour.

It was me who helped Harry win all his tasks and get sent directly to the Dark Lord, not anyone else. The worst part was that I barely felt guilty, I mean what else was I supposed to do, let everyone in the school find out I was Sirius Black's daughter? I think not, besides maybe Potter would escape and no lives would be taken tonight. It may have been an unlikely outcome but looking at the happy faces around me, I couldn't help but hope.

"This is taking a bloody century." Adrian whines beside me.

"It's only been fifteen minutes." I give him a sideways glance.

"Fifteen long minutes." Adrian continues to groan.

Twenty more minutes pass while Adrian and Graham sit anxiously on the edge of their seats, waiting for the winner. Finally, as it seems everyone's patience has run out, people begin to cheer. Peering down at the pitch I feel my heart stop and my throat close up at the sight of an alive Harry Potter. He was bloodied up and appeared to be in distress as he clung tightly to something below him.

Getting a better angle of sight, I notice that he is actually holding onto Cedric Diggory, who wasn't moving. Cheers soon turn to screams at the sight of Cedric's dead body and a sense of panic fills the air. Willing myself to look away from the spectacle below, I meet Crouch Jr.'s eyes and he gives me a silent nod. I hurriedly stand and rush down to the pitch, maneuvering around the horror-stricken people. Watching Crouch Jr. walk Harry away from the crowd of people, I rush up to the alarmed teachers.

"I think I saw someone  in the maze." I say in an urgent tone to McGonnagal.

"Ms. Rees if you would please return to your seat." She strictly responds and gestures towards the stands.

"No please I urge you and the other professors to check the maze." I look at her pleadingly.

"Return to your seat now Ms. Rees " McGonagall gives me a withering look.

"Please professor I beg of you to check the maze." I plant my feet firm and remain my ground.

"NOW MS.REES!" She raises her voice, her eyes full of rage. I look past her to see Dumbledore glancing around, looking for Harry. I wrack my brain for another form of distraction and suddenly decide on the most stupid plan of my entire life. I begin to roll my eyes back in my head and let my knees buckle. Falling to the ground I let out a scream and pretend to pass out entirely.

"Oh my!" I hear McGonagal gasp and several teachers start to swarm around me. I keep my eyes shut and still my body as much as possible, hoping it would buy Crouch Jr. some more time. Straining my ears, I hear the teachers talking in hushed tones and a few footsteps fall away from me.

"Come quick Minerva we must find Harry."  Dumbledore beckons. I quickly decide that the plan was not working and I slowly open my eyes. A few teachers around me let out relieved sighs and attempt to help me to my feet. I push their hands away and scramble up, running towards Dumbledore in hopes of stopping him.

"Wait profess-" I start to shout before a hand is clamped over my mouth. I let out a strangled noise of surprise as my captor holds me back, hand still covering my lips.

"Be quiet ." The familiar voice instructs from behind me. They tighten their hold on me and drag me away from the commotion, underneath the stands. Once I was out of view, they release their grip and I quickly spin around to face them.

"Dad?!"