Chapter 44 - Grimmauld Place-

Receiving the dark mark was one of the most excruciating pains imaginable. It was almost as if my arm had been put directly in fire and stabbed straight through. Yet the only evidence of any harm was the pale shade of red surrounding the symbol inked onto my skin.

My skin, that was now to be concealed for the rest of my school years. In the days to come I would be forced to wear long sleeves and keep my arms away from eager eyes. Meaning that I would have to isolate myself even further so that my secrets would not be unveiled. Which was going to be an extreme problem due to the letter sitting on my desk.

I had been clutching my arm, wishing death upon myself and whatnot, when an owl had tapped on my window. Naturally, I opened the letter it was carrying, not expecting quite the shock I had received. Within the note, it instructed that I was to arrive at Grimmauld Place tonight for the first order of the Phoenix meeting. Sirius had signed it at the bottom with his signature paw print along with the address of the headquarters. Now, the letter was sitting there on my desk, taunting me to follow its instructions.

"DELILAH!" Draco's obnoxious voice echoes outside my room.

"WHAT?" I question loudly, trying to place the letter out of sight.

"IT'S TIME FOR LUNCH!" He yells back before I hear his footsteps descend the stairs.

"Brilliant " I mutter to myself, crossing my room and out the door.

Walking down the stairs, I let my mind maul over the current situation I was in. It would be difficult to convince Lucius to let me out of the house by myself, he was rather watchful these days. Narcissa on the other hand would have no problem since she understood I like to be alone as of right now. The only real problem was that I would have to make up a story of where I was going for the next couple days.

Although the meeting was just for tonight, Sirius had also asked for me to stay until school arrived next week. Hence why I would need a clever lie pertaining to my whereabouts, seeing that I would be gone for a while. Perhaps I could say I was going to Adrian or Graham's house, Lucius knew that we were acquaintances. Also Graham owed me for something a while back so he could totally cover for me. It was set, I would simply tell them I was going over to Graham's for a week in preparation for school. Reaching the bottom of the steps with my newly formed plan, I waltzed into the dining room for lunch.

"Delilah." Lucius drawls while I make my entrance.

"Yes father?" I question, internally gagging at having to refer to him as such.

"I saw that you have yet to finish the book I assigned you." He looks at me disapprovingly.

"I am nearly done, only a few more pages." I reply, sitting down in the chair next to Draco.

"Very well." Lucius turns his focus back to his plate. Glancing around, I see that Narcissa is staring blankly at the table while Draco is pushing his food around lazily with his fork. Noticing that the conversation had ceased, I loudly clear my throat to gain attention.

"May I go to Graham Montague's house until school starts?" I question, the lie rolling easily off my tongue.

"For what reason?" Lucius asks, eyebrow slightly raised.

"There was some schoolwork I wanted to work on and we agreed to help one another." I reply, trying to cast any nervousness out of my voice. Lucius looks over me thoughtfully for a moment, letting his eyes survey my face with skepticism.

"I suppose that would be alright as long as you finish your readings." He finally replies before turning back to his plate. I breathe out a relieved sigh seeing that my plan had worked and begin to eat my meal. Keeping my gaze trained on my food, I feel a sharp kick in the middle of my calf and snap my head up.