46. ✭ wish you were here

Warning(s): mentions of abuse and violence,  abortion, and medical procedures

Warning(s): mentions of abuse and violence, abortion, and medical procedures.

Friday 13th June, 1986. Part Two--Christine.

By definition, an irrational fear is illustrated as an "extreme, unwarranted fear linked to a specific object or event."

For Christine, that 'unwarranted fear' came in the form of a white jacket, stethoscope, and one intrusive individual that strived to attain a person's most confidential details.

Of course, she knew that a doctor was just there to help with whatever personal plight a person might have, but she was still terrified to make any visit. Whether she had to see a primary care doctor, a nurse, gynecologist, or even a phlebotomist when blood testing was vital to her as a teenager, Christine was deathly afraid of making any visits to a doctor's office or hospital.

She wasn't entirely sure whether her fear had always prevailed, but she was certain that it worsened when she was thirteen years old.

On March 19th, 1976, the day after her mother's fortieth birthday, Christine was sent to the school nurse--who would later refer her to a pediatrician at the hospital--with symptoms that perfectly echoed those of a person suffering from a concussion.

She knew, just as well as the CPS officer questioning her parents, that the concussion was not a result of 'accidentally' hitting her head at some point throughout the morning at school. No, Christine was more than aware that the inconsolable ache thumping away at her skull was most certainly a byproduct of the fall she had endured the night before at the hands of her father's abusive tendencies.

Though the specific details were slightly foggy, one thing was certain to her; it was a motivated attack. Her mother was stoned, struggling to keep her eyes open while her sisters got on with whatever it was that they were doing, and she was giving the signature Christine attitude to her father when she began to talk back to him.

Instantly, she recognized that was a fucking mistake.

She was a smart kid in the sense that she knew not to give her parents shit, and her father was smart in the sense that he knew not to leave a mark. However, the handful of times that he did, in fact, leave a mark, he really did leave a fucking mark.

As expected, Chris was suffering from a mild concussion and, naturally, an investigation into the circumstances surrounding her 'mysterious' fall was conducted--obviously, drawing a blank as to how she managed to damage her head the way that she did by simply falling.

That trauma followed her through everything. And despite it not being the fault of a doctor, the intrusive questioning that followed the incident was enough to scar her for life. Literally.

Briefly, she remembered telling Nikki about that incident, and just hoped that he would be willing to take her to appointments after learning about her emotional pain. And although he didn't personally understand how that pertained to her anxiety, he didn't question it. He recognized that it was tough for her, and that was enough for him to want to be right there by her side each and every single time that she needed him.