50. ✭ better man

Christine's POV

Christine's POV

As much as I loved Randy, he was one of the aridest characters I had ever stumbled upon.

The man was so dreary. It was always a wonder to me how he had managed to bag Liane--considering she was 'larger than life' which I knew was just code for 'is absolutely outrageous.'

Hayden felt the same. He agreed that Randy was just the sweetest soul, he would do anything for anybody, but his personality was so bland it was borderline upsetting.

His friendship--that spanned years--with Bob Rock was just as confusing to me as what his relationship with my sister was.

"Look, I'm not trying to be an asshole or anything, but why are you at my studio?"

Bob's harsh demeanor was one of the many, many, things that Liane had warned me about when she mentioned how the guys were looking to take on a new assistant.

She'd only spoken of it in passing when I told her that I was looking for something "easy" to pay the bills--and also to fill that blank space on my potential college application where I'd need to cite work experience of some kind--so I decided to seek it out.

There really was no harm in simply testing my luck.

"Liane told me that you were trying, and failing, to find somebody that would fill Jessica's position," my brusque tone contested his.

If I wanted to even stand a fucking chance I had to show no fear. And that wasn't particularly an issue for me anymore.

"I thought I'd slide my résumé your way," curt words saw Bob's icy glare melt into a look of satisfaction.

"I'm going to be honest with you, Robert, and say that I haven't any work experience. I'm sure you know why that is."

"Because you were a groupie, weren't you?" A noxious grin began to pull at his lips. 

Clearly, making it easy for me was not his precedence.

"Close. Rockstar wife."

"Same thing though, right?"

"Not quite, but I see what you're trying to get at." I hummed, smirking at him.

It was obvious to me that Bob was more than impressed with how I was able to keep myself together. I mean, I had plenty of practice with hard-asses. Doc McGhee for one.

But his attitude was unwavering and I really had to pull it out of the bag by convincing him that I truly was, out-and-out, the perfect applicant to fill the role.

"Being a wife as opposed to a groupie meant that I was lumbered with it all, both in and out of the public eye. And it is not all sunshine and fucking rainbows. So, trust me when I say, I have a lot of experience with handling head-strong douchebags and raucous individuals."