52. ✭ over & over

This is another very long chapter and I'm so sorry for that, but I didn't want to split this in two

This is another very long chapter and I'm so sorry for that, but I didn't want to split this in two. I'm trying to make them a little shorter, but I'm struggling to get it all into small installments...

Warning(s): mentions of drug abuse, mentions of abuse

So much can alter in a year.

Anything can transpire.

Complacency, a daunting prospect, is only felt by the select few who throw caution to the wind and enable fluctuation within their lives.

And that fluctuation is, more often than not, a welcome adjustment.

Change is good, as they say. Change allows prosperity to prevail while an individual is able to work on their character, relationships, and any area that they feel requires development.

But, for some, it is only a temporary fix. A not so triumphant venture into curating a new life. A futile stab at a "fresh start." A pathetic attempt at striding toward a greater end goal.

May 10th, 1987.

"What is this? Bring your fuckin' kid to work day?" Bob remarked, curtly, toward Chris while his fingers danced along the soundboard.

He was stressed. Clearly.

"Don't be a dick, Rock," she told him offhandedly while she continued to smile, lovingly, at the baby she was bouncing in her lap.

"I'm just saying. I don't get why there are two kids here."

"One baby. One teenager who is minding her own business." She corrected him, flinching when he spun around in his seat.

"Okay." Bob ran a hand through his hair. "Why are they both here?"

"Because Amelia isn't allowed to stay at home alone and my brother wanted me to take her--which isn't a problem because she's old enough to know what is and isn't acceptable--and Daisy is here to spend some time with me, her aunt, and her father while Liane is at work. Is that okay with you?"

Her flawlessly brusque response earned a smirk.

"Yes." He gave in. "It's fine. But if either one of them starts distracting me, then you're gonna have to take them someplace else."

"Do you see them being distracting? Amelia isn't even in the room."

"Where is she?"

"With Randy, trying to find herself a little job," his brows raised in surprise. "To review my question, do you see them being distracting?"

Thwarted, he sighed. "No."

She glared at him, consciously aware of his subtle delirium. "Exactly. Just spin back around and do your thing, I want to leave."