31. ✭ the drugs don't work

Warning(s): drug abuse, mentions of weight loss and **drug related health complications

I woke up in a panic as my chest heaved and mind raced. I went to call out for Nikki but he was nowhere to be seen. My eyes pricked with tears due to the fact I was worried about my husband's whereabouts, I was naked, alone and hungover in a foreign state.

I pulled the covers off of myself and grabbed one of his shirts that was lazily slung across the foot of the bed, and opened the bedroom door.

"Mornin' sunshine" Vince whispered as I walked past his and Sharise's bunk, and I just smiled.

I felt bad that everyone was squashed into those little things, but Nikki demanded that we got to bedroom on the bus--I tired to reason with him but he wasn't giving up. "We're married so we get the bigger room" was what he kept throwing back at me.

The bus was parked up at some rest stop, Doug and Doc were smoking and talking to a couple of the roadies from the other buses, and Nikki was still nowhere to be seen.

I wrapped one of his jackets tightly around my body and sparked up a cig, inhaling sharply as the November air caused a chill to shoot down my spine. I sighed out, wondering where he'd gotten to.

"You look like you could use this" Heather mentioned behind me and held out a cup of coffee as I turned around. "Long night?" I nodded.

"You have no idea."

"I have an idea" she let out a laugh and I just shut my eyes with a groan. "You sounded like you had a good time anyways."

I took another sip of my coffee, cracking a smile. "It was great. But now...now I'm suffering" I lifted up the jacket to show Heather the bruises that scattered my arms and then my legs, and she let out a gasp. "I feel like I've been hit by a bus."

"You don't look it though. I think you look pretty refreshed this morning" she giggled. "How come you're feeling so rough? I thought you two fucked like rabbits every night."

"Yeah, we do" I sighed, throwing the empty cup in the trash. "I think Nikki is trying to tire himself out because he knows that when we visit his grandparents, we won't be able to do all that we normally do..."

"Including heroin?"

"Bingo. But then it's like we fuck so much we get tired so we go to bed, but when we wake up he wants to shoot up and then he gets horny, and it's like a never ending cycle of fucking, sleeping, shooting, and fucking again."

"Sounds like quite the life" she laughed nervously--making me realize how uncomfortable Nikki and I's relationship probably made her.

Before I could think about trying to make her feel better, I heard Tommy and Vince yelling on the bus, and then hurried, angered, footsteps approaching Heather and I.