32. ✭ idaho

Take this one as a bit of a filler chapter before we dive straight into some more 'drama'

Warning(s): mentions of drug abuse

Seven hours felt like seven years as withdrawals made it almost impossible for me to slip into a deep sleep. My body felt as though it was on fire one minute, and then borderline glacial the vert next. I was struggling--big time--and Nikki was blissfully unaware as he drifted off next to me.

With tired eyes and hazy vision, I wrapped myself up in one of the thick plaid blankets that I'd pulled out of the closet during the night, and headed downstairs when I heard Nona pottering around in the kitchen.

Nona and Tom were just the sweetest, kindest, most welcoming couple I'd ever met in my whole entire life. Nona, especially, reminded me a lot of my grandmother. She had the brightest smile whenever Nikki or myself brought up California, and Tom was so happy to see his grandson so content--but what they didn't know wouldn't hurt them, of course.

We spent the entirety of our first afternoon/evening, with the two of them, talking about home, about how the tour was treating us, our relationship, and I finally got to learn a little bit more about Nikki. I was very happy. Almost completely distracted.

But I still craved that familiar high. I told myself it was only another two days until I was able to get back into that bus, locate the stash, and spend hours with my husband getting higher than hell, having lazy sex and sleeping until we were ready to do it all over again.

"You ever seen snow like this before?" she asked with a laugh before she peered out of the drapes. My eyes widened and lips pulled into a smile at the sight of a sheet of thick, glistening snow laid across the once lush grass.

"We don't really get this kinda weather in California" I told her as she nodded "but I always used to visit family in England, and sometimes there'd be snow at Christmas time."

"England? Is that where you're from?"

I shook my head a little. "No. I'm from Los Angeles. But my grandma--my mom's mom--was from Wales, and she moved to London when my grandpa started work there. Then they relocated to California for a few years, had my mom, she met my dad when she was 23, and as they say the rest is history" I laughed a little, playing with my ring.

The way she was getting lost in the conversation made me smile--I could see where Nikki got that from.

"Well, that is just lovely. What do your parents do?"

I swallowed hard. She wasn't to know, but I thought that maybe Nikki might've brought that up at one point or another.

"My uh--my mom passed a few years ago, but she was your typical overbearing mother/Beverly Hills housewife" I rolled my eyes and she laughed softly, putting a hand on top of mine. "And my father was a lawyer. He's dead too, but that's alright. I didn't have the best relationship with either of them, to be honest, but my mom was trying to make it better before she died."