38. ✭ the calm

Warning(s): mentions of suicide & suicidal thoughts, drug abuse

This is kinda all over the place and I am so sorry for that. I just needed to get that last part in here!

They always say that you can pick your friends but you sure as hell can't pick your family, and they are so fucking right. My brothers were perfect. I had no complaints, other than the overuse of my childhood nickname, but my sisters...God. Two, sometimes three, women that I wish I never had the absolute displeasure of meeting.

Liane, at times, was tolerable. My eldest and wisest sister who seemingly had everything together. I'd be a fool to deny my jealousy towards her and lovely Randy, because they were the perfect couple--and they had a baby on the way too. I was happy for her, truly. I know that if it was either Helen or Lauren, I would not have even entertained the thought of congratulating those absolute she-devils.

I am convinced that the two of them were sent from satan himself to reign terror down upon me and make me suffer for ever leaving home when I did. And I hated them. So. Fucking. Much. It physically pained me to think about holding conversations with them.

"That's not what I'm saying," I mumbled, hearing Lauren take a deep sigh down the other end. I ran a hand over my face because trying to reason with that woman was like trying to reason with a brick wall. "What I meant was, I'm not going to be able to make it on such short notice, Lauren. You're asking me to your engagement party, in Canada, which is the same day as Tommy and Heather's wedding that I am going to be bridesmaid at and Nikki is, obviously, going to be Tommy's best man."

"God, you are such a brat!!" I held the phone away from my ear as she began shouting, and Nikki glared at me from the living room, tapping his watch because we should've been in the car already. "Ever since that asshole got you wrapped around his pinky finger, it's like your family doesn't exist!"

"Well, I could say the same about you. Ever since mom pulled that damn trigger on herself none of you have even so much as given me a call," I stated calmly because I was high and, as we all knew, when I was jacked up I was just the biggest doormat on planet earth. "Lauren, I am sorry but we won't be able to make it."

"I'm your sister! Family comes first or whatever it was that mom used to say to us."

She was right. My mother always taught us to make sure that our nearest and dearest were always looked after, to put our family's needs before anybody else's. And I guess that was ironic considering she didn't give a flying fuck about the welfare of her four children most of the time, but the thought was still there.

"I know," I sighed out, watching Nikki continue to tap his watch as he scowled at me through the glass door. "Lauren, I will make it up to you when I can, alright? I just can't miss this wedding. It's important to Tommy that Nikki and I are there to see him marry Heather, and I don't want to be the one to upset him on his big day."