68. The Other Woman

There is no warning for this, just an apology for taking so long to update! It's super short, but I hope it'll see you guys through to the next installment!! thank you for 57k!

-

Los Angeles was boring now, he thought.

Without the influence of drugs, alcohol, or his wife, Nikki no longer saw the allure of the oddly mild dazzle of Sunset Boulevard, or the gated community in which he and Christine once called home.

It used to be so bright, so vibrant and thrilling, and he always felt so alive at the mere thought of the strip. But it was simply different, now.

Perhaps it was so drab to him because it generated shunned feelings--of disdain, mainly--that Nikki wanted to completely forget. Memories of what once was, or what might've been.

Memories of his sordid past.

And it was being here--with Tommy, of all people--that had really brought them hurtling back, striking him so very deeply until it physically stung.

It was such a foreign environment.

His home--the place he had spent his entire adult life--was but a bittersweet memory, a reminder of something greater that was completely out of his reach while simultaneously being but a stone's throw away.

He hated this.

He hated feeling like a stranger in his own habitat, just existing amongst the items and recollections that reminded him of the woman that he couldn't have.

The woman that was spitting her venom while concurrently showing Nikki just how badly she craved him. All of him.

He missed her, today. He hadn't realized how painful it was to leave somebody behind, even if it was just for a little over a week.

It was so lonely, without Christine. Wherever he went, whoever he was with, Nikki couldn't shake the notion of feeling completely isolated. Forlorn, perhaps.

And it made him wonder how anybody could just up and leave their lives behind because it'd only been seven days and he was struggling.

She was so strong for what she did, he surmised. It might've hurt him at the time--and it definitely hurt her, too--but to go out into the world completely alone, was such a brave thing for her to do.

He supposed that he was proud of her, for that. For managing to navigate this life alone while striving to scratch herself out of the deep, dark rift she had fallen into during their marriage.

Christine was a perfervid woman. Of course she'd accomplish all that she'd sought out to do.

Nikki wished that he could've said the same, though.

"A mistrial?"

He could almost see the confusion stretch over her, the difficulty in understanding what his statement meant as the line crackled.