― prologue.

❝ fuck you

❝ fuck you. ❞

"WHAT DIFFERENCE IS MOVING TO THE VALLEY GOING TO MAKE?"

A girl, aged at sixteen and standing with her arms crossed, glared at her father. She knew it was a risky thing to do, but she needed to know.

Ayane Cain needed to know why her parents were suddenly up and moving to California, of all fucking places. The last thing she wanted was to be around a bunch of stoner bums.

Ayane's father glanced up at her through his glasses, and Ayane knew she had made a mistake by asking the question.

He was sitting at his desk in his office, surrounded by boxes and looking over bank statements. Ennis Cain was a world-renowned surgeon and a failed martial artist. Ayane would have gladly chosen surgeon over the latter any day, but her father had chosen for her.

"Why are you questioning our decisions? You should know better than that by now."

Ayane tapped her foot, arms still crossed. She wanted to back down, to apologize and finish packing. But an entire change in her lifestyle, without asking her if it was okay?

There was no way in hell she was going to let that slide.

"You're right, I should. But neither of you asked me or even told me, for that matter. I just want to know why."

Ennis quickly stood, startling Ayane. She took a step back, even though her father was eight feet away.

"Don't you ask another question. Finish packing. Now."

Ayane clenched her jaw and squeezed her fists so hard her nails cut into her palm.

She turned and left, going upstairs to her room. It was basically empty, by now, but it still pained Ayane to see it so... barren. This room had been her real home, her getaway, ever since she was a child. And now, she had to let go of that. Her safe place.

"Fuck you," she muttered, and withholding tears, placed a framed picture of her and her father at one of Ayane's taekwondo competitions into a box. She was holding a first place trophy, nearly taller than her at the time.

That was the last thing Ayane packed; her trophies. They took up an entire wall in her room, a wall that she wanted to take a baseball bat to.

There was a knock on the door, drawing Ayane's attention away from the wall. Her mother, Liana Cain, stood in the doorway with a frown on her face.

"You haven't finished packing, why? The movers will be here in less than an hour."

Ayane chewed her lip, shrugging. "Can't find a box big enough for all of that," she replied, gesturing dismally to the wall.

Liana looked around, sighing. "I'll go get the bins. You find some bubble wrap."

She watched her mother leave the room, rolling her eyes as she did. It would have been so convenient if Ayane could have just 'accidentally' dropped all of the trophies from her second-story window.

Twenty minutes later, she put the lid on the last bin, dragging it out into the hallway. Turning back to face her room, Ayane sighed and took one last look at it. The gray walls stared back at her, feeling like they were expanding forever.

God, she hated her parents.

NOTES!
all i gotta say is... fuck ennis cain

 fuck ennis cain