― chapter 42.

❝ i'll never give up on you, mig

❝ i'll never give up on you, mig. ❞

THERE WAS STILL AN HOUR left in the school day, but Ayane did not care now.

She called Mr. LaRusso, but did not get an answer.

Ayane paced in front of the office, calling Amanda next.

"Hello?" she finally picked up.

"Amanda, hi," Ayane said with relief. "Um- Miguel woke up."

"Really? That's- that's great-"

"Yeah it is," Ayane cut her off. "Can I go see him?"

Amanda paused. "Well honey, I'm sure Sam won't mind taking you after school. Is that alright?"

Ayane crossed her arm underneath the other, sighing. She wanted to see Miguel now, but she supposed she could wait.

"Yes ma'am. T-Thank you. Bye."

Ayane hung up, going back into the library. Moon was still sitting at the table.

"Is everything alright?" Moon stood and asked, raising her eyebrows.

Ayane smiled wide, suddenly hugging Moon.

"Miguel's awake."

"Oh my God, that's amazing!" Moon replied with a grin, patting Ayane's back.

Then, Ayane got a sudden idea.

She pulled away from Moon, saying, "Hey- you have a car, don't you?"

Five minutes later, they were driving up to West Valley General.

"This is so cute," Moon said as Ayane got out of her, "you can just tell how much you guys love each other."

Ayane's heart could have melted, honestly. She smiled at Moon gratefully.

"You're so sweet. Thank you so much for the ride. I'll text you!"

Moon nodded, waving as Ayane ran up to the hospital entrance.

Ayane had never gotten up a flight of stairs so fast. The elevator was busy, so they were her best bet.

Miguel's grandmother was standing outside when Ayane got there, waiting to take the girl to Miguel.