― chapter 50.

❝ never give up on each other

❝ never give up on each other. ❞

"ARE YOU OKAY?"

Ayane felt Miguel's hand on her back, almost forgetting he was there. Robby's sudden appearance had shaken her up.

She turned her head to him, nodding.

"I'm fine." Miguel made a face, Ayane rolling her eyes. "Famous line, I know– but I am."

He raised his hands. "Alright."

Miguel drew in a breath, eyeing Ayane for a moment longer. She had been through too much for a teenager, and Miguel hated that there was nothing he could do about it.

"You should probably get going, it's late," Ayane said, snapping him back to reality.

Miguel nodded at once. "Y-Yeah. I probably should. But, um– I had fun tonight. There's no one I'd rather go to a council meeting to fight for a karate tournament with than you."

Ayane laughed, shrugging as she put her arms over his shoulders.

"I guess I could say the same, Diaz. But you can come by tomorrow, if you want? I don't have much of a life these days, you know, outside of the karate rivalry."

Miguel chuckled softly, placing his hands on her waist and leaning closer.

"Then I guess... I'll see you tomorrow. Oh, and be ready for some intense sparring."

"One on one?" Ayane replied suggestively, raising her eyebrows.

Miguel gave her a look back. "I feel like you're insinuating something different here..."

"We'll see," she said in response, leaning forward and placing her lips against Miguel's.

Ayane had to pull away before things got too intense.

"We'll pick this back up tomorrow," she assured, to which Miguel pouted.

"I guess I can wait," he sighed, pulling his hands away from her waist.

"Until tomorrow."

.    .    .    .