― chapter 36.

❝ does this amuse you, mr

❝ does this amuse you, mr. diaz? ❞

AYANE FINALLY MANAGED TO get some sleep, but she woke up irritable the next morning.

She was thinking about her conversation with Daniel, as it was still fresh on her mind. Ayane's stomach hurt when she thought about Miguel, and whatever was going on with him.

At once, Ayane got up and got dressed, stretching and finally checking her phone. Even if they were 'taking a break', it still hurt when she did not see any notifications from Miguel.

She wanted to have faith, faith that it wasn't Miguel and that maybe someone else did. Ayane found the idea a tad bit extreme, though, so she dismissed it.

Despite still being confused about the whole situation, Ayane decided for now to just accept if for what it was. And if Miguel wanted to say anything else to her, then he knew exactly how to do that.

Then, Ayane remembered what day it was and groaned. She had to go to her dad's court hearing today.

She had been given a choice, so technically she wasn't required to go. But Ayane knew the chances of him staying in jail would be low if she wasn't there to testify.

Ayane was greeted by Amanda as she went into the kitchen.

"Good morning, honey. So, I know you probably remember that the court hearing is today."

Ayane nodded curtly and unenthusiastically.

Amanda sighed. "Yeah... but hey- as long as you get in there and tell them exactly what happened, we should be out of there in no time."

Ayane smiled with a little nod, taking a deep breath.

This was turning into the most stressful summer of her life.

. . . .

AS IT TURNED OUT, the jury was on Ayane's side.

Ayane had photo evidence of her bruised face, and she told the story exactly as it had happened. Liana and Ennis sat on one side of the room, while Daniel and Amanda sat on the other.

The bad part, however?

Ennis was only serving six months. And he had to pay a $2,000 fine, but that was like two cents coming from his bank account.

Ayane could not even bring herself to be surprised, frustrating though it was. It was his first misdemeanor, so it wasn't like he could serve more time anyway.