― chapter 18.

❝ i haven't been this happy in weeks

❝ i haven't been this happy in weeks. ❞

"MIGUEL, THAT'S CRAZY."

Ayane looked at him in disbelief, frowning.

"Y-You can't forfeit just because I might not compete. Why would you want to do that?"

Miguel sighed, staring down at their intertwined hands.

After a moment, he replied, "I feel so guilty, Ayane. I- I'm the reason you got hurt. It's just not fair to you."

Ayane closed her eyes momentarily.

"Miguel. Look at me."

He did, meeting her eyes. She smiled softly.

"I don't care what happens to me. You are staying your ass in that tournament."

Miguel was taken aback by her sudden harsh tone. Ayane smiled again after a moment, pushing his face playfully with the tips of her fingers.

"You need to get some sleep. You look like you're about to collapse right here."

He smiled, rubbing his eyes. "Yeah, you're right." Miguel leaned over and kissed Ayane lightly.

Pulling away, he whispered, "I'll talk to you as soon as I can."

Ayane grinned. "You do that."

Miguel stood, leaving the hospital room at once. Ayane reached over to the table beside her, feeling for her phone.

Then, Miguel suddenly reappeared. "I have your phone," he said, handing it to her. "Sorry, I almost forgot I had it. Bye."

Ayane watched him leave for a second time, laughing to herself. She was surprised to see her phone filled with a lot of 'get well soon' notifications, from a lot of people she had never even talked to.

Carmen and Liana came back in a few minutes later.

"Where did Miggy go?" Carmen asked, looking around.

"Oh, I told him he needed to get some sleep."

Carmen smiled softly, coming around to the other side of the bed.

"You're right about that. He stayed here all night. Can you believe it?"

Ayane raised her eyebrows a little. Sure, it was something that Miguel would do. But just thinking that he did it for her made Ayane feel funny.