― chapter 17.

❝ i was so looking forward to roundhouse kicking all of you cobra kais

❝ i was so looking forward to roundhouse kicking all of you cobra kais. ❞

AYANE RUSHED UP TO Miguel's apartment, knocking on the door.

She was twenty minutes late, and she had to take a cab because she couldn't get an Uber in time.

At once, the door opened.

Instead of Miguel, it was his grandmother. She and Ayane had met once before, so she smiled upon seeing it was her.

"Hi. Um, is Miguel here?"

"Miggy!" she called, gesturing for Ayane to come in.

At once, Miguel came out of his room.

"Oh- I was just about to text you," he said, smiling briefly. Then, he frowned as he looked at Ayane longer, getting the feeling something was off.

"Let's go outside."

Miguel took her hand and pulled Ayane outside, shutting the door behind him.

"Are you okay?"

Ayane looked up, nodding. "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

Miguel shrugged, frowning a little. "You just seemed a little... rushed. Was Mr. LaRusso holding you up?"

Ayane didn't like to lie to Miguel, but she also didn't want to tell him about the fight she had just gotten into. She feared Miguel might try to get involved and that was the last thing Ayane wanted.

"Yeah," she replied, "I was trying to teach Robby something and he just couldn't get it."

Miguel nodded after a moment. "Hm. Okay, well, now I need your help."

They walked to the center of the pavilion, where they had practiced before.

"Have you heard anything about the All Valley?" Ayane asked warily, feeling guilty once more. She had no reason to, but Ayane felt like she could have made more of an attempt to fight for it.

"Sensei went to the meeting," Miguel replied, shrugging. "I guess I'll know when he gets back."

Ayane stretched her arms, chewing her lip. "Well... I guess you just have to hope for the best."

Miguel glanced at the ground. "Yeah, I guess."

She sighed. Ayane felt terrible for him, as she could see how badly Miguel wanted to do the tournament.