― chapter 22.

❝ now you have an ugly nose to go with that ugly face, bitch

❝ now you have an ugly nose to go with that ugly face, bitch. ❞

OVER THE SPAN OF the next two weeks, Ayane had not talked to Miguel at all.

They both ignored each other at school, and Ayane started sitting with Aisha at lunch. She would talk to Demetri and Hawk every now and then, but they pretty much sided with Miguel on everything.

Robby kept coming over to help her, which Ayane thought was beneficial. She was just so pissed that Miguel would think there was anything going on between her and Robby.

Ayane found that certain kicks would give her a weird feeling in her back, but she determinedly ignored it.

Because now, it was the night before the All Valley Tournament and she had to convince her dad she was good to compete.

They stood in the dojo, Ennis testing Ayane. Combined with her physical therapy sessions, sparring with Robby had really paid off. She didn't feel completely up to strength, but Ayane knew without a doubt she was capable of winning.

"Show me the roundhouse kick," Ennis said, pacing the room.

Ayane winced internally. That was always the one that got her. Nonetheless she did it, once again ignoring the pain in her back.

She turned to her dad, raising her hands. "Well? What do you think?"

Ennis narrowed his eyes, thinking hard.

"Alright, fine. You can compete. I'll call Mr. LaRusso and let him know."

Ayane smiled tightly, almost wanting to hug her dad. But she stopped herself, simply nodding.

"Thank you."

Ennis shrugged her off. "You need to wash up and go to bed. Get lots of rest and drink plenty of water."

Ayane nodded, hurrying upstairs and doing so. When Ayane got out of the shower and looked at her phone, her heart nearly skipped a beat.

Miguel had texted her.

For a moment, Ayane considered just completely ignoring him. Although she was really dying to talk to him.

He wasn't just her boyfriend, he was her best friend.

Ayane snatched up her phone and read the text message. She didn't want to smile but she always did. Miguel hadn't even said anything except 'hi' and it still made her heart flutter.