― chapter 26.

❝ great, more nerds

❝ great, more nerds. ❞

"I-" AYANE STOOD THERE, at a loss for words.

"I-I can't do that," she finally said, shaking her head. As much as Ayane wanted to, she couldn't.

Amanda smiled knowingly. "Ayane, honey, you are absolutely a joy to have around. You already feel like you're a part of this family. I mean, it's your choice. But just know that we are not going to turn you away. Okay?"

Ayane pulled her lips in, nodding after a moment. Amanda smiled once more, then walked away.

The girl stood in the doorway, biting her thumbnail again. She had to call Miguel and inform him of everything that had just happened.

And, she had to make a decision.

This was no simple decision, either. Of course, the answer was obvious. The LaRusso's were completely willing to take her in, but Ayane didn't want to feel like a burden.

Though now she had a father in jail and a mother who didn't want her, and Ayane didn't have many other options.

She inhaled a deep breath, then turned to walk in the house. Just as she was about to, however, Ayane was surprised to find Robby walking up to her.

"Hey," he said with a confused frown. "What happened here? I saw police leaving the place."

Ayane swallowed, puffing her cheeks. "Um- my dad was arrested."

Robby's eyes widened. "Holy shit. What- is everything okay?" He noted Ayane's lack of emotion, and also the bruise on her cheek.

She shrugged. "I don't know if anything is exactly 'okay' in this situation, but... yeah. I just- I don't feel like talking about it."

Robby nodded in understanding. "Yeah, sure. I get it. Well- is it okay if I come in?"

"Sure," Ayane moved out of the way to let him in, following Robby inside.

They both walked into the living room where there was broken glass from a picture scattered on the ground. Daniel was trying to straighten up.

"Oh," Daniel looked up, finding the two of them. "Robby, today might not be the best day for a lesson. There's... a lot going on right now."

Robby frowned, but nodded. "Okay. Can I come back tomorrow?"

"Yeah, that's good," Mr. LaRusso said with a curt smile.