Chapter Nine

When the first task approached

When the first task approached. Tom had made sure to help Rosalie practice her Parsletongue, so the dragon would hear what she said. The crowds are cheering, people are taking bets. Rosalie is pacing nervously. Tom stood on the other side of the tent door whispering words of encouragement.

"How are you feeling?" He asked her as she stood in front of the tent door.

"I'm okay." She whispered.

"OK? The key is to concentrate. After that you just have to..." Tom started to say.

"Battle a dragon." She said with a slight quiver in her voice. Tom enters the tent looking down at her and pulls her into a hug. A bright camera flashes, Rita Skeeter the journalist approaches.

"Young love! Ohh how... stirring. If everything goes unfortunately today you might make the front page." Rita says, a scowl appears on both their faces. 

"You have no business here. This tent is for champions and friends." Krum says coming to the two's defence.

"No matter. We've got what we wanted." Rita states. 

"Yes, and if I see anything in the prophet about myself and Rosalie you will be fighting with the Slytherin house, I hope you know." Tom growls. Rita gulps loudly and leaves quickly.

Dumbledore soon enters the room, Tom kisses Rosalie on the head and rushes out of the room, wanting nothing to do with the old coot. But poor Rosalie has to deal with him anyway. She's still waiting for him to pull her aside and talk to her about Tom, but he still hadn't done so. "Good day champions. Gather round please. Now you've waited, you've wondered and at last the moment has arrived. The moment only four of you can fully appreciate." Dumbledore starts.

The champions and Rosalie gather around him in a circle.

"Barty. The bag." Dumbledore says. Barty steps forward holding a small bag.

"Champions, in a circle around me. Miss Delacour over here, Mr Krum, and Miss Potter over here. Right. Miss Delacour, if you will..." Barty says holding the bag up to the French girl. Fleur takes out a little green dragon.

"The welsh green. Mr Krum..." Barty states and then holds the bag to Krum. Krum picks his out. "The Chinese fireball. Oooooh."

Cedric is then next. "The Swedish short-snout. Which leaves..." Barty starts as he holds the bag to Rosalie.

"The horntail..." Rosalie whispers, sadly.

"What's that?" Barty asks.

"Nothing." Rosalie says as she puts her hand in the bag and pulls out the dragon.

"The Hungarian horntail. These represent very real dragons, each of which has been given a golden egg to protect." Barty says telling the champions what to expect. "Your objective is simple, collect the egg. This you must do, for each egg contains a clue without which you cannot hope to proceed to the next task. Any questions?" Barty asks.

No one says a thing.

"Very well. Good luck champions. Mr Diggory the sound of the cannon..." Dumbledore starts when the cannon fires immediately.

Rosalie is sitting alone nervously. She bites her nails as she hears the roars, why she was last she didn't understand. She was unsure why she had to be last, why she had to do it, or who would put her name in the goblet. 

Questions she wanted answered. 

"Three of our champions have now faced their dragons and so each one of them will proceed to the next task. And now our fourth and final contestant." Dumbledore says over the loudspeaker.

Rosalie enters the rocky arena. The crowd are cheering her name. She sees the golden egg sitting alone, she makes a run for it, but the dragon appears. Rosalie is forced to retreat behind a rock as the dragon shoots flames at her. Rosalie stumbles and falls around the arena.

"Rosalie! Talk to it!" She heard Tom shout.

Rosalie quickly runs and stops in front of the dragon. 'Wait!' Rosalie hisses.

'You can speak to me!' The dragon hisses in return.

'Yes, I must ask you something, the people that brought you here, have given you a fake egg.' Rosalie says, as the dragon roars in anger.

'How dare they!' It roars. 

'I only ask if I can take it, so that you may keep your young safe.' Rosalie said. 'I want nothing to happen to you or them.' She stated.

The dragon moved its head to stare into her eyes. 'I sense the truth you speak, go take the fake thing away.' The dragon orders. Rosalie nods and rushes over, taking the chance, she finds the golden egg and holds it in her hands.

The dragon sniff's the egg and growls. 'Take it away!' The dragon roars. Rosalie nods and rushes away. When she is safe everyone cheers for the girl. 

Rosalie takes deep breaths and ignores the scores. She cared not for where she would be placed. She simply wanted to survive. When she was finally released, she rushed to find Tom, Fred, and George.

When she did, Tom gathered her into his arms, the egg now in Fred's hands. "Are you alright?" Tom asked her.

"Yeah, I'm okay, just a little bit freaked is all." Rosalie answered. "It was strange talking to the dragon she was quite understanding, and angered." 

"I'm glad you're alright though." Tom whispered. Rosalie laughed softly.

"Me too." She said.

"We are as well, if something bad happened to you, your father would have killed us." Fred and George stated at the same time, before walking forward. Tom holding Rosalie's hand following the twins. 

"Wait, have you met dad yet?" Rosalie asked Tom. Tom sighed before nodding silently. "What did he do?" She asked him.

"He threatened bodily harm, went off at me for killing Lily, then said sorry to me when I told him what really happened that night and then he told me I have to keep you safe." Tom responded, not bothered by the girls father. 

"What about the others?" Rosalie questioned.

"You don't want to know." Tom answered before pulling her inside the Great Hall, the four sitting at the end of one of the tables and eating some food.