Chapter Nine

The next morning Rosalie had Jeremy by her side, a small smile on her face as the teeming mass of students fight their way to class on the first day of term

The next morning Rosalie had Jeremy by her side, a small smile on her face as the teeming mass of students fight their way to class on the first day of term. Amidst it all, Professor McGonagall stands tall and stern.

"History of Magic is up, ladies, not down." McGonagall says to one of the Patil twins. "Mr. Davies! That is the girl's toilets." She calls to the boy who looks frightened and rushes away from the girls toilets. McGonagall's eyes shift, finding Rosalie with Jeremy right next to her.

Rosalie's smile drops. McGonagall beckons her over with a finger. "This can't be good." Rosalie says softly as she and Jeremy make their way over.

"Enjoying ourself, are we?" McGonagall questions her.

"Well, you see, I've got an open period this morning, Professor..." Rosalie starts when McGonagall cuts her off.

"So I noticed. I would think you'd want to fill it with potions. Or is it no longer your ambition to become an Auror?" McGonagall questions her.

Rosalie blinks confused. "Professor, I chose not to be a Auror remember. I am happy being Lady Syltherin." Rosalie says formally.

"My Lady, maybe we should hear what your Professor says, as you did say you wished to have something to do." Jeremy says to Rosalie. Rosalie hums before turning to the older woman.

"You might enjoy doing Potions this year." McGonagall says to her.

"I'll check it out." Rosalie says, before turning and going to the dungeons. Rosalie and Jeremy walk inside to see everyone turn in unison looking at her and Jeremy.

"Rosalie my girl! I was beginning to worry! And I see we've brought someone with us..." Slughorn says, almost as though they were buddies, or something.

Rosalie raises a perfect eyebrow, as Granger and the weasel whisper to each other. "Jeremy Gilbert, sir. I am here as Lady Slytherin's guard." Jeremy says with a nod. "So don't mind me."

"Of course, welcome to you both." Slughorn says. "Right then books out." Slughorn says to everyone.

"Sorry, sir, but I haven't got my book yet." Rosalie says formally.

"Not to worry. You can get what you need from the cupboard." Slughorn states to her. Rosalie rolls her eyes as he goes back to his class. Going to the cupboard, Rosalie comes to see two textbooks, one new and one shabby and soiled. Picking up the shabby one, Rosalie flicks through to see handwritten notes.

"Now, as I was saying, I've prepared a few concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these may be?" Slughorn questions as Rosalie comes back over.

Raising her hand Slughorn points to her. She points to the potion on the left. "That one there is the Veritaserium." She starts then points to the one on the right. "And that one would be Polyjuice Potion. And the last is Amortentia! The most powerful love potion in the world."

Slughorn nods wanting her to continue. "It's rumoured to smell differently to each person, according to what attracts them. For example, I smell leather bound books, crisp winter mornings and well the last one is quite hard to explain." Rosalie giggles. Jeremy smirking from behind her.

After their last week in Mystic Falls, Rosalie had told both boys that she loved that they both smelled intoxicating, like a whole candy isle.

"Correct Miss Slytherin." Slughorn says with a smile. "Now Amortentia doesn't create actual love, of course. That's impossible. But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. For that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." Slughorn explains his voice serious.

Slughorn turns, finding a sea of dreamy faces leaning into the vapours, except Jeremy and Rosalie. Instantly, he clangs a cover onto the cauldron, bringing them round. As everyone takes a second Katie Bell speaks up.

"Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one."

"Ah yes..." Slughorn says as he steps to a small black cauldron and begins to ladle a bit of golden liquid into a tiny vial. "What you see before you, ladies and gentlemen is a curious little potion known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly referred to as..." Slughorn says but leaving his sentence hanging.

"Liquid Luck." Jeremy says suddenly. A buzz runs through the class.

"Yes, Mr. Gilbert. Desperately tricky to make. Disastrous should you get it wrong. But brewed correctly, as this has been, it has remarkable powers. One sip and you will find that all your endeavours succeed... at least until the effect wear off."

"But then why don't people drink it all the time?" Katie Bell asks.

"Because taken in excess it causes giddiness, recklessness and dangerous overconfidence." Slughorn answers.

"Have you ever taken it, sir?" Blaise asks.

"Twice. Once when I was twenty-four. Once when I was fifty-seven. Two tablespoons taken at breakfast. Two perfect days." Slughorn says, as he eyes the vial dreamily, adrift. Finally he blinks. "So. This is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of liquid luck... to the student who, in the hour remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of living Death, the recipe for which can be found on page ten of your textbook."

Excitement seizes the class. Slughorn smiles knowingly. Rosalie and Jeremy look on in boredom. "God I want to leave." Rosalie whispers to Jeremy. Jeremy smirks as his hand slips up and down her back. Rosalie leaning into his side a little more.

"My Lord said he would be over tonight." Jeremy whispered in her ear. A grin slid onto Rosalie's face.

"You should know that in all the years of my previous tenure at Hogwarts, not once did a student brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this prize. In any event – good luck." Slughorn says as he sets the vial upon his desk, where is shimmers in a shaft of sunlight. Rosalie opens her book, as she and Jeremy take their place at their own table. Rosalie sees the many scribbles of the previous owner. Humming softly she takes note of the handwriting.