4

A bright light caused El to stir slightly, burying her head into what it had been resting on to block it out.

"Morning sunshine." A voice croaked out as El movements had informed James that she was awake.

"What time is it?" James looked at the clock on his bedside table to answer her question.

"Half eight."

She groaned, "Its like the middle of the night, go to sleep u weirdo." As he laughed, Eleanor put a hand over the ear closest to him "Why so loud?" El clearly suffered from hangovers a lot worse than James.

She pulled the covers higher over her and James' arms snaked around her waist before he realised something, "Were both naked."

She groaned in response, "Not much gets past you, does it, Potter?" she replied sarcastically.

"Burke, we had sex." James appeared shocked, however his statement didn't cause the girl next to him to even open her eyes.

"I know, i was there." Her nonchalance annoyed James who seemed slightly worried. Eleanor went to bury her head in James' neck but he stood up, put on a pair of boxers and began to pace.

"You were drunk, i shouldn't have taken advantage of you, and what now? we practically live together for fuck sake and-"

"Potter." he stopped talking but continued to pace, not looking at the girl on the bed, who's eyes were finally open. "James, fucking look at me" James was slightly taken aback by her tone but did as he was told. "You were more drunk than i was, relax. Besides it was only a shag, it didn't mean anything."

James' shoulders deflated slightly at her words, repeating them back to her, "yeh right, didnt mean anything."

El sighed and nodded, "yes now will you please shut up and lie back down so i can sleep." This confused James even more, however he lay down in the spot he had slept in and El wasted no time in placing her head on his chest and falling back asleep. James was now very aware that she was naked, and didn't know where to put his hands, so settled for placing them both around her waist, bringing the small girl closer to him.

***

When El woke a few hours later, the space next to her was empty. She got out of bed and threw on the jumper she'd borrowed from James last night, and retrieved her knickers which had been flung on the floor near the windowsill. Looking around the room, El laughed, the room was tidy except for the clothes El and James had been wearing, which were all over the floor.

Eleanor stumbled out into the main common room, rubbing her eyes and looking around a bit. "Shes alive!" James' voice startled her and she groaned in response, "The others left a few hours ago." El sank down into the sofa and placed her head in her hands, only looking up when she could tell James was standing in front of her. She looked up at the boy who was holding two mugs, he gave her a small smile, handed her one of them and sat down on one of the loveseats. "Not a morning person, huh?" she glared at him but didnt speak, "stupid question," he laughed. His words caused El's glare to harden.

"What time is it?"

"Half twelve," She took a sip of her coffee, thankful to have something that woke her up.

James broke the silence, "You know now that we have to live together, you should probably start being nice to me." Her gaze turned to him, an emotionless expression on her face. "I am nice to you."

At laughed, harder than he should've, "No, your not."

Her face remained emotionless and she took another sip of coffee, not taking her grey eyes off of James' hazel ones. "Your easy to be mean to, its not my fault. You walk into the situation yourself."

"Im gonna choose to ignore that." James stood from his position on the loveseat and sat down next to El on the sofa, holding his hand out for her to shake it. "Come on, we're starting fresh. Hi, my names James, whats yours?"

El didnt make a move to shake his hand, her eyes now planted on were James had previously been sitting, "Bambi, you know my name." He didnt say anything, only continued to stare at her expectantly. With the hope of making James leave her alone, she turned her head towards him, "I'm El."

"What like the letter?"

She stared at him with a blank expression for a few moments before walking back up to her room, not saying a word.

***

The next morning was the first day of classes and El awoke surprisingly early so she decided to do her hair and makeup, get dressed and head to the great hall. She walked through the large doors, eyes scanning the room, it was fairly empty other than a few eager first years and Remus Lupin, who was leaning over the book he was reading at the Gryffindor table.

Remus and Eleanor had always got along, her being one of the only people that knew about his lycanthropy. Although he would never admit this, Remus had a soft spot for El as she reminded him of Sirius, only meaner.

"Morning," El said as she plonked herself down opposite the scarred boy.

"You're up early," Remus laughed, closing his book and putting it in his bag.

"Well i was trying to avoid James. I didn't wanna walk down here with him." Remus gave her a suggestive smile, "Why are you looking at me like that?"

Remus held his hands up in mock surrender, "No reason." She narrowed her eyes at him but dropped the subject as slughorn came over to give them their time tables for the year. Due to it being N.E.W.T year, El was only taking Astronomy, DADA, transfiguration, potions and charms. And same as last year, she unfortunately had all of these classes with the marauders, except peter who didn't get high enough O.W.L grades to take potions or astronomy.

"You got potions first?" Remus broke the silence after both of them had looked over their time tables.

"Yes, she does." James, who neither of them had noticed come in, snatched her timetable from her hands and looked over it. Eleanor rolled her eyes at the boys presence and snatched the piece of paper back. She was about to respond, but a voice from behind her caused all three teenagers to be distracted from their conversation.

"Wow, a Burke sitting at the Gryffindor table. Your parents would be proud." The sarcastic comment from Lucius Malfoy made El's fists clench as she turned around to face him, however he just laughed, "Oh my bad, i meant parent."

Eleanor didn't have to answer when James took a step towards the blond boy, "Malfoy its too early for this, just fuck off, would ya?" This just caused Malfoy to make a small chuckle.

"Getting blood traitors to defend you, your fathers probably turning in his grave," he laughed again and turned his nose up at them, walking away.

El lunged forward to go after him but James stood in front of her, blocking her way. She glared up at him. "Move."

He placed a hand on each of her shoulders, spun her around and walked her over to the table, "The head girl cant give someone a broken nose on the first day of school."

He was right, not that she'd admit it, so she simply sighed and sat down, muttering, "Arsehole."

"Yep" Remus replied.

"I meant Potter."

"Oh i know"

a/n: theyre in 7th year i cant remember if i mentioned. this chapters kinda shit sorry