48

The week leading up to the end of term was strange. The seventh years didn't have any classes so their days were spent lounging around the castle grounds or going down to Hogsmeade in search of dresses for the ball. The marauders were scheming again, trying to come up with a good idea for their final prank as their own personal 'goodbye' to Hogwarts.

Though James was still insisting on going stag to the ball, he still bought El a dress in the same shade of red as his tie and did not stop pestering her until she agreed to wear it (although she was very tempted to make him complete a list of fifteen things). Sirius had also taken to consistently badgering James to make El his girlfriend so he could win the bet, which earned Sirius several tripping hexes followed by a variation upon "mind your fucking business, Padfoot".

The day of the ball, Sirius and Remus were sent to charm Madam Rosmerta to give them enough firewhiskey for a small army, while head boy and girl were tasked with setting up the great hall along with the teachers.

By the time it got to mid-afternoon, the hall was fully decorated and the doors were shut to keep people out. The marauders, El, Dorcas and Marlene were all in the head's common room, the girls getting ready in El's dorm, while the boys were sprawled lazily across the furniture, yet to even get changed.

It took El and Dorcas far less times than Marlene to be fully ready as the blonde spent the time perfecting each individual detail to ensure every strand of hair was precisely placed. But by the time they were ready, the boys were all suited, filling seven flasks with firewhiskey.

The marauders eyes turned to El's bedroom door when they heard it open, Marlene and Dorcas walking out hand-in-hand, dressed in the same shade of turquoise.

"You guys look nice," Remus smiled, holding out a flask for each of them. "Only took you four hours to get ready."

"Perfection takes time, darling," Marlene replied, smoothing out her dress, taking a swig from the flask then tucking it into her clutch.

"You guys ready to go?" Dorcas asked, playfully rolling her eyes at her girlfriend's comment.

"Yep, been ready for about an hour," James said."Where's El?"

"Having a fag," Dorcas replied, nodding back towards El's bedroom.

James began to walk towards the closed door, "You guys go, we'll catch up with you."

"Try not to shag, you don't wanna ruin her makeup," Marlene called behind her as she and Dorcas left.

Peter eyed the two girlfriends, then Sirius and Remus, then his eyes went to where James was stood by El's door. "I fucking hate being single," he grumbled, shoving his hands in his pockets before he followed his friends out the tapestry.

James poked his head through the door before opening it fully and entering the room. "Jesus," he breathed as his eyes landed on the head girl.

El's gaze turned to where James was standing, putting out her cigarette and throwing it out the window. "You clean up nicely," she walked towards him so she could straighten his glasses.

"You look fucking amazing," James' hands went to her arse, giving it a firm squeeze.

"I do, don't i? You made a surprisingly good choice with the dress."