66

A few days later, El received a letter from Umbridge, which she ignored, but after that it was complete radio silence from her. It reached May and there was still no word from Regulus, though a letter to Mcgonagall had confirmed he was still safe at Hogwarts and was simply ignoring her.

El's nineteenth Birthday was used as an excuse to have fun, James had invited people over and planned a whole evening without telling El. So when Peter, Marisa, Morgan, Evan, Sirius, Remus, Dorcas, Marlene, and Lily all arrived at their flat, it's safe to say El was slightly taken aback.

"Potter! Why are half of London standing on our doorstep?"

James walked out from their bedroom, pulling a shirt over his head, "because it's your birthday," he said simply. "Hi guys, come in." He hugged each person as they entered, accepting the presents they each brought.

"El!" Marlene came in last, running and tackling El in a hug. "Happy birthday, old lady."

El laughed, "thanks. . .i think."

"What's everyone drinking?" James asked, turning up his radio as everyone shouted various replies.

***

For the next few hours, the party provided an amazing distraction to everything they didn't want to think about. They danced and drank and laughed all evening.

James pulled El from her conversation with Remus so she could dance with him. El allowed him to drag her away and spin her around. He loved when she was tipsy; she smiled more and shouted less.

He leant down to kiss her, "hello."

She smiled up at him, running a hand through his hair. "Thank you for this."

"You liked it?"

"Course i did."

That made James grin. "I'm glad," he kissed her again, then picked her up and spun her around. She squealed, then laughed, wrapping her legs around his torso as well.

A camera flash went off beside them, Morgan smiling from behind it. She waited for the polaroid to print, waved it around a few times to dry the ink, then handed it to El. James watched from over El's shoulder as the picture developed and the image came into focus.

"We're adorable," James kissed her temple, then took the picture from her and used a magnet to attach it to the fridge. "Thanks, Fenwick," James wrapped an arm round Morgan's shoulders fondly, ruffling her hair.

"Hands off my witch, Potter," Evan approached them, sending him a half-joking warning glance.

"No worries, Rosier," James held his hands up, stepping away from Morgan and towards Eleanor, "i've got my own."

"Oi, we aren't chocolate frog cards," El swatted James' hand away from her.

"No," he chuckled, "chocolate frog cards have less attitude," he squeezed her waist to show he was kidding.

El flicked his temple. "Prick," she mumbled, smirking when he drew back and pouted, rubbing the sore area.

"You love me."

"Unfortunately, yes."

The music from the radio stopped and was replaced with talking. "Everyone shut up a sec," Sirius shouted, turning the dial that controlled the volume.

"A body was discovered earlier today in the river Thames. The twenty two year old male was later identified as Luke Burke. His cause of death is unknown but it is thought that he was already deceased before his body was thrown in the river.
Two muggles were—"