73

El didn't go to Borgin and Burke's for a while; it wasn't until several weeks later that she went. She had been standing by the entrance of Knockturn Alley for several minutes with her hands in her pockets before she gained the courage to walk down.

The small bell above the door of the shop rang when she entered, and striking green eyes met El's. He was looked younger than she thought he'd be; no older than his early forties.

"You're Alfred," she stated. "I'm—"

"I know who you are," he said simply. "Do you wish to talk in another room?"

El nodded, "lead the way."

Alfred turned the sign on the door to say 'closed', then walked through a door in one corner of the shop, into a small, messy room with a black leather sofa and two old armchairs. El sat as he poured two glasses of firewhiskey and handed her one.

"You seem very calm," he said, taking a small sip of his drink.

"I'm not."

Alfred's lip twitched, a subtle hint of an almost smile. "That's understandable. I'm assuming you have questions."

"Why did you leave?"

He didn't acknowledge her bluntness, he seemed to appreciate it more than anything. "Many reasons," Alfred sighed, "Belvina was one of them, but there were others." He was deliberately being vague—giving her a politicians answer. "Faking death seemed far better than the real thing."

"Did it not occur to you that you were leaving two children in Belvina's care?" El snapped.

"I did not believe she would ever cause her children physical harm."

"You were wrong."

"I apologise, Eleanor, truly," he sounded honest, but that made no difference.

"Why didn't you stay dead?"

"I wanted to know my children."

"You could've known me if you didn't fucking leave in the first place!" she countered. Hot anger was quickly brewing in her stomach, twisting and contorting as if she were about to burst.

"I hoped the money i gave you for the necklace might make your life slightly better."

"You think money can make up for you leaving both your children with an abusive mother!?" she shouted.

"I know nothing can make up for what i did—"

"You're right about that."

"But i want to try," he looked her straight in the eye, giving her a chance to properly look at him.

"Do you think there's anything you can do so that i'd forgive you?"

He stayed silent for a while, "allow me to try at least."

El looked straight at him but gave him no sign that she was agreeing.

Neither spoke for a while, though Alfred never took his eyes off her, studying every feature they shared. "Is that an engagement ring?"

El looked down at the emerald on her finger, "yeah,"

"What's his name?"

"James," she paused for a moment, "Potter."

Alfred nodded, then spoke again for before the silence lasted long enough to feel uncomfortable. "What's he like?"

"One of the best people i've ever met," she said quietly.

"When's the wedding?" he asked.

"We don't know yet, he only asked a few weeks ago," she fiddled with her ring as she spoke, refusing to meet his eye.