39

The two week holiday was spent as planned, James, El and Sirius doing minimal school work and making the most of their last moments of relaxation before their N.E.W.T.s. They spent the majority of their time out in the grounds of the Potter manor, enjoying the April sunshine. Marlene, Peter and Remus had come over one particularly warm day, so the group went swimming in the small river at the end of the garden where several small swings were suspended from an overhanging tree branch.

El and Remus were lounging in the sun on the riverbank, watching their friends splash about foolishly in the water.

"If you two don't come in i'll throw you in." Sirius threatened, attempting to splash the pair with water but missing them by several feet.

"Good luck with that." Remus scoffed, feeling very confident in his ability to physically overpower the boy.

Accepting the challenge, Sirius scrambled out the river and pulled on one of Remus' ankles, barely managing to move him an inch. After seeing Sirius' failed attempt, James also waded out the water and towards the scene. He stood over El and shook his head aggressively, causing droplets of cold water to fall onto her body. Not even giving her a chance to complain, James picked El up and threw her over his shoulder. She squealed at the collision of his cold, wet shoulder with her almost dry stomach, kicking her legs as James ran them both back to the river and chucked her in.

When her head reappeared from under the water she glared at James before climbing onto his back to try drag him down, which—due to his height—failed miserably. James bent his body backwards, dropping El back down into the water, to which she sent him another dirty look, but due to her wet hair, was unable to look very threatening.

Another splash in the water alerted them to the fact that Sirius, Peter and Marlene, all working as a team, had managed to get Remus into the water, his face holding the same half annoyed, half amused look as Eleanor's.

***

That was the only time the six of them had been all together that holiday, but El still managed to have a good time despite spending most her time with two teenage boys.

The only moments of peace she got were when James and Sirius were out practicing quidditch since the final match was happening the Saturday after they returned to school. Winning this match was the final task of James' list, and losing it was clearly not an option for him, not just because of the list, but also since it would be his last ever chance to win the quidditch cup. While El admired his determination, the rogue bludger that had almost hit her while on her morning walk had not been appreciated.

Even when they had returned to Hogwarts, James seemed to be completely ignoring his approaching exams and spent any free time he had down at the quidditch pitch.

News of another attack broke through the castle like fiendfyre on the first Tuesday back. Copies of the daily prophet were delivered to various students by owl at breakfast and by lunch time everybody knew.

Muggleborn, Leona jones and muggle family found dead in family home in Devon, cause of death: Unknown.

After only reading the first sentence of the article, El noticed Regulus stand up from his seat, leaving his untouched breakfast at the table. She followed him out, having to jog down the corridors to catch up with his fast paces.

"Expelliarmus!" El shouted, causing Regulus' wand to fly out his hand and onto the floor.

The boy span around, his face looking panicked. El ran over to him and backed him into a wall, pushing the copy of the daily prophet into his chest.