33

By some miracle, James managed to stay silent for the rest of the day, closing February with another item of the list crossed off. A week later he crossed of number 1, having now brought El tea in bed every weekend for a month, leaving only five tasks left to do.

Breakfast one morning in early March, provided great entertainment to everyone in the hall when Lucius Malfoy let out an uncharacteristically high pitched scream, drawing everyones attention to him. The sight was comical to many as the boy's eyes were brimming with tears at the discovery that his hair was rapidly falling out his head.

El stifled a laugh in disbelief, looking over at James who was very clearly crossing the task off the list.

Malfoy then stormed out of the hall, leaving a pile of blond hair where he had been seated.

***

So with only four things left to do, James was becoming more and more confident that he would be able to finish the list. However, he was distracted from it for a day or two when Remus' birthday rolled around.

For some reason, the day was even more dramatic than Sirius' birthday, but started in the same way with everyone singing 'happy birthdaym to him at James' request.

Their last lesson of the day was transfiguration and the birthday boy's three friends were all missing, although there absence was soon given reason when a loud 'bang' was heard from outside.

McGonagall looked out the nearest window, curious to see the source of the noise. "Mr Lupin, i believe there are some people trying to get your attention," she informed, taking a deep breath through her nose in exasperation.

The class all gradually stood up and crowded round the windows to James, Sirius and Peter, all on brooms outside, flying loops around a firework display they'd created.

Everyone quickly ran out the classroom to the courtyard to get a better view, along with many students from other classes. The three boys lapped up all the attention they were receiving, most of the school being outside by now, and was cheering them on.

The final fireworks were released, writing: 'Happy birthday, Moony!" in the sky.

Remus shook his head and clapped reluctantly, almost hating that he found the whole thing so amusing. El gave him a sideways hug, which he happily received, several others patting him on the back and shoulder, sending him birthday wishes.

As expected, the marauders had also planned a not-so-surprise party in the Gryffindor common room. McGonagall had allowed them one night if fun before the detentions they were sure to have for the next month. And, as expected, it didn't take El or Marlene much convincing to turn up.

It only took an hour of drinking and partying for most of the crowd to be completely inebriated. El and Marlene were in the centre of the room, surrounded by people all dancing and singing, while drunkenly waving their various bottles of alcohol around. Peter on the other hand passed out after twenty minutes of being there.

"Letter!" James parted the sea of students to reach the girl he was calling for, "Have you seen Moony or Pads? I haven't seen them in ages,"

The two Slytherins smirked at each other, sharing an understanding of where they thought the two boys were.

James leaned towards the dark haired girl to allow him hear what she was saying over the music. "No idea," she shouted.

James craned his neck, looking over the heads of everyone to see if he could spot his friends. Having no luck, he sighed and walked up the stairs towards his old dorm.