61

By mid-January, Order missions were becoming increasingly more tedious. El had patrolled Hogsmeade more times than she could count, and had searched what felt like every abandoned house in Britain. Her missions were still with Morgan and the half-sisters had found they actually had far more in common than they had originally thought. Disappearances of muggles and muggleborns were still frequent, and yet next to no arrests had been made. It felt like they were making no progress—it felt like they were losing.

On the cold afternoon of January 18th, the two residents of the Potter-Burke flat were sprawled lazily over their bed, James lying almost directly on top of El, his face tucked neatly into the crook of her neck. The winter sun had peaked it's way through the window, landing on their bare bodies, yet having no effect on their sleep.

The hesitant knock on the door wasn't enough to wake them either, but it repeated—louder this time. James' nose twitched, and he groaned as he was brought back to consciousness. When he buried his face further into El's neck, it must have woken her, because she two squinted against the light as she tried to pry her eyes open.

"What the fuck is that noise?" she groaned. Eleanor was many things—a morning person was not one of them.

"Someone's at the door," James grumbled, the sound muffled against El's skin.

"Do you reckon if we don't answer, they'll just go away?"

They waited a few minutes to see if El's theory was correct, it was not. The knocking continued.

"Were we meant to be somewhere today?" James asked.

"I doubt it. Go open it," El instructed, still half-asleep.

James groaned. "Why have i got to do it?"

"Because i'm tired." El massaged James' scalp, releasing a groan from him, then thrust her hips up to subtly rub against his.

"Are you trying seduce me into doing your bidding?"

"Is it working?"

James pulled himself off her and stood up, grumbling under his breath as he pulled on his underwear and a pair of joggers. El smirked triumphantly, pulling the duvet back over herself.

El heard the door open, but the conversation was too quiet too hear from the bedroom. She was about to go back to sleep when she heard the door shut, but then she heard someone place something on the floor, and the quiet conversation continued.

She listened closely, and managed to make out something James said, "she'll be fine, just wait here while i talk to her."

A moment later, James walked back through the bedroom door, standing in the doorway instead of getting into bed. El didn't open her eyes, but she knew he was there, "James."

"El..." he stood awkwardly at the foot of the bed with his hands behind his back.

"Who's in our flat, James?" she finally opened her eyes and sat up against the headboard.

"Lily," he mumbled quietly, but it was loud enough for El to hear.

"What?!" El grabbed the nearest jumper to her and pulled it over her shoulders, then putting on a pair of James' boxers and stormed out into the living room.

"El...hi," Lily smiled cautiously.

"What are you doing here, Evans?" El crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"I-um had an argument with my family, and this was the only place i could think of to go to, i used to go to Mary's when this happened but. . .y'know," Lily looked down at her feet to repress any memories of her deceased friend.