60

New year's eve was the first time El and James had properly gone out in public since they left Hogwarts, with the exception of Order missions. They had been moving from their flat to various friends' flats, Dumbledore had made it very clear that going out for unnecessary reasons was too dangerous, but this was New Year's eve, so going out was strictly necessary in their opinion.

The same group of people that were there on Christmas day met them outside a muggle club in London, though Krystal did not attend this time as she was 'ill'. El was wearing yet another one of the dresses James had bought her, this one was cobalt blue, short and backless, which she accompanied with the pair of black heels James had bought to match.

The eight entered the club and El headed straight towards the bar to order a drink. Each pair of hungry eyes that had fallen on her body when she entered, diverted their gaze when James joined El at her side.

"Put your fucking money away," he slapped her hand lightly, pulling his wallet from his jean pocket. "What d'you want?"

"Shots," she answered, having to lean close so James could hear here, "tequila."

James nodded, then transferred this message to the bar tender, who laid out three shots each, with lime wedges and a pot of salt.

El placed the salt of the part of her hand were her pointer finger met her thumb, she licked the salt off, took the shot, then sucked the juice from the lime wedge, James doing the exact same next to her. They both repeated the action for the other two shots, then James payed for eight pints of lager, having to make two trips to carry them over to the table Peter and Marisa had found.

The club was busy—as they had expected—and the music was loud, drowning out most of the attempts at conversation. Marlene as Sirius were already dancing, their respective partners watching on with amused smiles.

James had taken a seat, then wrapped an arm around El's waist to pull her into his lap. He smirked as he looked over her body, then pulled the top of her dress upwards, so her chest was more covered.

"Oi," El laughed, smacking his hand away.

"El, do you know how many guys are ogling you right now?" James said, looking around the room and narrowing his eyes at all the men (and a few women) that were looking at El.

"You bought me this dress, so don't complain," El shrugged, taking a gulp of her drink and paying no mind to anyone who was looking at her.

"You complain about everything, it's my turn for once."

El opened her mouth to argue, but stopped herself, "fair point."

James grinned smugly, pressing a quick kiss to her shoulder, then pulled the front of her dress forward so he could look down it. He smiled again.

"Fuck off," she swatted his head, laughing.

"What? Just because i don't want other people to see your tits, doesn't mean that i can't." He kissed her collarbone, then his eyes fell back on where everyone was dancing. "Come on," he tapped her thigh to indicate for her to stand up, "i wanna dance."

El stood, James downed the rest of his pint, then stood as well, taking her hand to lead her to the part of the dance floor where Sirius and Marlene were. They all danced together, forced into close proximity by the dozens of people around them, all moving in time with the music.

After the dancing was causing them to sweat slightly, El and James took a 'breather' outside to fill their lungs with cigarette smoke instead. There was a small section to the side of the club, offset from the street, which was empty—most people just smoked indoors. It was far quieter than inside—the music from which was still ringing in their ears. They stood against the wall in comfortable silence, El's head resting against James' arm.