16

a/n this was set in the 70's but idk what ppl wore to halloween parties then so their clothes will sound quite modern. fyi a fag is what we call cigarettes in britain

Over the course of the week leading up to halloween, an exited buzz of those invited surrounded the castle. The constant topic of who was wearing what distracted people from their classes, so much so that teachers barely bothered teaching on the Friday.

The 4 marauders had continued to be secretive about their own choice of costume, so when it came to the day of the party, they shut El and Marlene out of James' dorm so they could prepare.

The two Slytherin girls had leisurely started getting ready several hours before the party started, and were now taking their time doing their makeup on El's bed after getting into their costumes. El's devil costume consisted of a loose red silk dress, cinched in at her waist with a black corset, along with fishnets, devil horns and black heels. She'd done black winged eyeliner and red lipstick, using a charm Marlene found to keep their makeup in place all night.

The boys had finished getting ready a few minutes prior, so were waiting in the common room. Sirius was wearing a knitted jumper with coudoury trousers, and Remus was wearing a leather jacket and black jeans. It only took Eleanor a moment to realise they'd dressed up as each other. Peter was wearing mouse ears and a rat tail, an idea that was undoubtedly Sirius'. And James, who had gone as a vampire, was wearing black suit trousers, a white shirt and a red tie that hadn't been tied yet, he had two red dots of fake blood on his neck, and some splattered over his outfit.

All his breath left his lungs when James turned to see Eleanor walk out her dorm, his eyes flitted over her thighs and all the way up to her face, taking everything in him to not let out a groan at the sight of her.

After exchanging friendly comments about their outfits and grabbing a few bottles of alcohol, the group walked out of the tapestry and towards the Gryffindor common room. El and James fell behind the rest of their friends, to abruptly stop walking when El turned to face him. Grabbing the two sides of his undone tie, she tied it in a neat knot, not realising how close they were standing until she looked up.

"There you go, Donner," James laughed at yet another one of the Santa's reindeer nicknames.

He took El's necklace and twisted it around his finger, "Thanks." Their faces were now only inches apart, but El already had a plan in mind and she didn't want to ruin it.

She had decided earlier that evening that she would see how well she could tease James at the party. Not with any goal in mind, more of just an ego boost to see how much power she could get over him.

Deciding now would be a good time to test him, El put her face even closer to his, whispered, "Anytime," and started walking again as if nothing had happened.

By the time they arrived at the painting of the fat lady, the party was in full swing, a mixture of students from all houses had been invited as long as they were above fifth year. James, Remus and Peter had spent most of their day decorating the room, which had two banners hanging over the walls, one reading: "Happy Halloween!" the other: "Happy 18th Padfoot!"

El was dragged to where everyone was dancing by Marlene, the pair of them moving their bodies in sync and shouting the words to the song in each others faces. Marlene knew about her friends plan to tease James, and thought the whole thing hilarious.

The girls continued to drink and dance until they were too tired to continue. Marlene left to go talk to someone so El stumbled over to where Sirius and James were standing.

"Evening boys," She greeted, keeping her eyes on James.

Sirius downed the remainder of his drink, "I'm gonna go find Moony," he muttered, neither of them taking in anything he said.