67

Summer came in that year with weather as average as any, but there was something odd in the air, even the muggle streets seemed emptier. It was safe to say this summer was not going to be as fun as the last. All Hogwarts students were home for the holidays, but the few times El visited Diagon Alley, it was quiet, and lots of the shops were closed. Even James, who was perpetually in a good mood, seemed a bit deflated, though he fought valiantly to not let it show.

One August afternoon, he returned from the weekly shop to a half dressed El, standing by the stove, cooking for the pair of them.

"How domestic of you," he commented.

El turned, not having noticed him return, "don't get used to it."

"I think i might," he placed the bags down and came up behind her, stooping down so his chin could rest on her shoulder. He kissed her neck softly, "i have something for you."

"Mmm?" she turned the stove off and moved to face him.

He picked up the shopping bags and placed them on the kitchen table, rustling through one of them until he found the box he was looking for. He held it out to her, smiling as if he was very proud of himself.

"Oh dear. What is it?" El asked skeptically, taking the box from him and looking at the front of it. "Monopoly?"

"It's a muggle game that i used to play with Sirius, my mum taught me it," he paused a moment as his smile faltered but he quickly recovered, "Dumbledore's pretty much banned us from having any fun, i can't figure out how to change the channel on that telly-box Morgan got you, and i'm pretty sure i've started reading more books than Moony; so i figured we could play this to keep us entertained."

"Didn't think this was your sort of thing, i doubt it involves sex or blowing anything up," El said with her eyebrow raised in amusement.

"You make me sound so uncivilised."

El raised an eyebrow at him.

"Shut up," he chuckled, "anyway, we could make it more interesting, loser removes an item of clothing," he suggested, smirking.

"Is that how you used to play it with Sirius? I didn't know you were that close," she teased.

James laughed, "shush, witch," he snatched the box out of her hand and hoisted her over his shoulder with his other hand.

"James!" El squealed, hitting her fists against his back. She always pretended to hate when James lifted her like this, but she was secretly impressed by the casual display of his strength.

He carried her to the rug in front of the sofa, placing her down on it, then placing the monopoly box in front of her. "So loser removes an item of clothing, first person naked loses—deal?"

"I raise you; loser gives the winner head," the placed her hand out in front of her, prepared to shake James', but she pulled back at the last second. "This isn't fair, i'm wearing less clothes than you."

James pulled his own t-shirt over his head, "fair?" he held out his hand.

"Fair," El shook it, preparing to play.

***

An hour later, James was sitting miserably in his boxers and one sock, while El was still wearing the same amount of clothes she had been when they started, which hadn't been very much to begin with—she was only a pair of socks, a lace thong and thin t-shirt away from losing the game.

He rolled the dice again, "oh for fuck sake!" he moved the small metal hat forward two spaces, landing on the square where El had two houses placed.