Fate

- Roxanne Grey - 

* Five Years Later * 

"We're gathered here to say farewell to Bryon Hart who has gone to the hands of God." The Priest begins.

No matter how long you prepare for this moment, it always ends up the same. The endless sadness clouding your heart and limitless tears. It's sad really, I knew this day would eventually come and yet I didn't sit down to think that it really would happen.

Bryon was diagnosed with Huntington's disease at the age of twenty-five, so for five years prior to when I came back to this town, Bryon has suffered with the knowledge of his early demise. Although he never fully accepted it, as his time decreased and little by little his body and mentality started to decline, he left the world with no regrets.

Five years later I stand here, staring at his lifeless body.

As I listen to the Priest, my dress was suddenly lightly being tugged and I looked down at the puzzled little boy with luminous hazel brown eyes. 

"Mama why is daddy sleeping inside of there?" Parker asks, confusion exuding from his eyes.

Bryon's family and friends glance at Parker, then at me with sympathetic looks. This is always the worse part of funerals, the closer you are to the deceased one...the more pity you receive for it. Not to mention Bryon not only left his lover but his three year old son Parker Hart.

It's sad that we brought a child into the world who would only know his father for a short amount of time. However, other than being with the one he loves, Bryon had another dream of having a child. It took two years for him to convince me, well that and accidentally conceiving him the one day I forget to take the pill.

Even so, from the day he was born, I've never loved anyone this much in my entire life. There was just something about holding your child that changes you. Being with Parker everyday allows me to forget who I was, to not be that troublemaker and to be a better mother instead.

Once the Priest finished, tears erupted from Bryon's mother Heather. Every stayed silent as the woman cried for her son, infact some people joined her. I was tempted to break down but Parker would be worried, he wouldn't understand. Right now he think's Bryon is asleep in some box.

One by one, everyone walked up to the coffin, placing a red rose infront of his picture and paying their respects. Heather kissed his forehead and wiped a tear away, then left so the next person could go. 

Soon it was my turn and I held Parker around my arms, so he could say goodbye to his father. 

"Parker." I say.

He smiles. "Can we wake up daddy?"

"No honey, we can't." I explain. "He'll be asleep for a long time and wants you to say goodnight."

His eyes slide from Bryon to me. "When will he wake up?"

"Just say goodnight, baby." I rub his back.

He looks back at his father and smiles. "Goodnight daddy, wake up soon so we can play."

More stares and whispers from behind, more useless sympathy and unnecessary pity. I've know for years that he was going to die, yes it's still hard to deal with, but I knew what I was getting into before I started. 

Staying with him and having a child, I knew what the inevitable was and chose to continue with it. I'm not regretful for what I've done because at the of the end I got a miracle out of it. 

I place Parker on the ground and he ran around the cemetery. 

After I placed my rose and said my goodbye, they lowered Bryon's casket into the ground.